Which Text Messages Count? (Messages vs. SMS)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by richard13, Jan 17, 2015.

1. richard13 macrumors 6502a

I am on metered text plan with AT&T (Nation 450 + 200 Text Message add-on) and this works pretty well for me since I'm not a heavy user. However, this month there was a flurry of texts which actually pushed me close to my limit. I noticed that not all my messages are showing up on my AT&T account so I presume these were sent via WiFi/Messages.

Does anyone know if receiving texts work the same way? For instance, if my sister is on WiFi and is using an iPhone with Messages enabled are those free to me (non-SMS) too?

Presuming the above is true is there any way to tell which are (Messages vs. SMS)? I presume not since my texts are either blue or green but theirs are always gray.

Thanks!

2. JulesJam macrumors 68020

JulesJam

You both have to be on WiFi for iMessage to work. If your text message is blue, then it is an iMessage. If it is green, then it is an SMS/MMS. iMessages don't count against data or texts for either party since they are sent through data only when on WiFi.

https://www.apple.com/ios/messages/

3. richard13 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks Jules. I already read that article and a bunch of previous posts before asking my questions.

From the Apple web site:
    That part is where it get's confusing to me. Is the entire session free or only my half of the conversation? For instance, the other day I had some texts between me and my niece. I was on Wifi and she was not (in the car) but my end of the conversation was blue. I don't see any entries for this conversation in my usage on AT&T's web site. So, either: the other party doesn't have to be on wifi (but does have to be in iMessage) or Apple isn't communicating how this works exactly.

4. wongster macrumors regular

either on wifi or cellular, blue is free and green is not. blue uses data and green goes against your text count. even you texting on your iPhone to another iPhone, if that one message pops up as green, it will count towards your text.

5. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

Which Text Messages Count? (Messages vs. SMS)

If it says text message at the top it's sms. If it says iMessage at the top it's free. :)
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421540782.270406.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421540790.239886.jpg

6. JulesJam macrumors 68020

JulesJam

I was under the impression that if both parties were not on WiFi at the same time, then it gets sent as an SMS/MMS. But if that happened to you then it sounds like my understanding is incorrect. I have unlimited texting so I never pay attention.

If I get a chance I will call Apple b/c even though I have unlimited texts, I would like to know myself.

----------

But the question is do both parties have to be on WiFi for it to go through iMessage and be free? OP says he has had blue texts to his sister when she was not on WiFi at the time.

----------

Right but do both parties have to be on WiFi for the message to go through iMessage and be free?

7. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

No but they both have to have a data connection whether it be wifi or cellular.

8. JulesJam macrumors 68020

JulesJam

But then does the person who is not on Wifi and is on data get charged for the data?

9. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

Yes, but iMessages are only a few kilobytes If it's only text.

10. JulesJam macrumors 68020

JulesJam

but if you send a picture it can be more right?

11. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

Yes. And of course videos will be more. Imessage only lets you send videos up to a certain length though. (Which is stupid, the cutoff it way to short)

12. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Picture messages are going to consume hundreds of kilobytes to megabytes of data, when sent as an iMessage. Messages compased completely of text will be kilobytes, most often in the single digits, unless you are sending a novel.

If you are sending a slew of messages and all of the sudden it switches, it will tell you this below the message that switched. If it says "sent as iMessage" it will have used data. If it says "sent as text message" it will have used an SMS/MMS allotment. If you send 10 SMS/MMS, it will only warn you once, however the messages will remain green (though there will be no color difference with pics).

You can also set "send as SMS/MMS" to off. This will make it so that known contacts who use iMassge will NOT be sent an SMS/MMS if the iMessage fails. It is worth noting that you can still receive SMS/MMS from this person should he/she send the message out as an SMS/MMS.

----------

How short is it? I am able to send a message of 00:04:36 just fine. I realize that isn;t a long video, by any means, but I expected the limit to be more draconic than that lol.

13. richard13 thread starter macrumors 6502a

This has been one very useful thread. Lots of good information and it answered my questions. :)

Thank you all for your replies!

14. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

I don't know exactly but often times I have videos I would like to send that are longer than that.

15. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Fair enough. I imagine it has to do with sizes. You send even a 5 minute video over cellular that can easily already be larger than Apple's limited on AppStore updates via cellular!