Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Smallville

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 1, 2004
With more studios avoiding Apple and iTunes and going UltraViolet for digital downloads attached to discs (yes, I still buy discs and have no plans to quit in the near future), what's the best way to watch without constant streaming? So far, I've seen three desktop players, and none of them are impressive.

Vudu to Go, Flixster, and Cinema Now are the ones I know of and have tried. They're all buggy and disappointing because of constant crashes while downloading files and playback. And good luck finding online support. I've searched support FAQs and forums to try to figure out why I'm having certain playback errors, and I've yet to find a solution that actually solved the problem. Most answers ultimately end with "just stream the movie through a web browser." Don't want to, no need if the stupid desktop player would work.

So, any suggestions? Is there a way to convert UV movies to be watched in iTunes? At least I know iTunes works. Are there Blu-ray drives compatible with Mac and would allow me to rip them to my hard drive? I'm certainly not paying more money to replace all the Blu-ray discs I already own for iTunes copies.

i1280

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2012
Running into this problem now. Any recommendations on the best BluRay ripper out there?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.