Which to buy? 13'' or 15''?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by brandonb123, Apr 14, 2010.

1. brandonb123 macrumors newbie

Hey all,

Long time lurker here and have just signed up to get some advice. I was originaly planning on getting a 13'' MBP when they were updated and now since the update, the CD2 is kind of pushing me away.

I am a full time college student, currently half way through my engineering degree. I would be using the computer for word, power point, excel, music, garageband, movies, light photo editing and running school programs like AutoCad and Solidworks.

I currently have a black book 13'' so I am used to the screen.

Now to me, the 13'' size is very nice. I think a 15'' would be to big and awkward for me to carry around all the time and take on trips and what not so the size is a huge factor. However, i want this computer to last me atleast 3 years so do I really want to pay almost 2000$ (after apple care and taxes) for technology that is not top of the line? This is where I am stuck.

Also, If i were to go with the 13'' and updated to 8GB ram would it give me an increase in general performance? Would it be worth it?

Thanks a million guys.

Edit: One more piece of info, I can afford both so that is not an issue.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

The C2D machine will last you 3 years. There's no doubt about it. The 15" may withstand changes in software longer, but both will last you 3 years. I'd get whatever you can afford and whatever is comfortable to carry.

3. swish2351 macrumors 6502

Even with core2duo the 13" is great. I think both with last 4-5 years, I think the 13" will last longer though, because this is the last version of core2duo so it will still be good, while i5 will get updates and after 2 years you will feel like you have an old processor. The 13" will be better.

I get where your coming from about the 13" not having the newest processor, but it really doesn't need it. The LOW-END 13" has 4GB RAM and a 10hour battery life(about), it has a decently good graphics card. Go 13". That's what I'm getting too.

4. brandonb123 thread starter macrumors newbie

5. enberg macrumors regular

I did that with the 13" I just ordered. Aftermarket RAM won't save you much money, so you might as well get it preinstalled.

6. brandonb123 thread starter macrumors newbie

will the performance boosts be noticable though?

7. greg400 macrumors 6502

Only if you plan on doing some very intensive work that involves a lot of applications being used at once. Or if you plan on running virtual machines.

8. brandonb123 thread starter macrumors newbie

okay no I will be running bootcamp thats about it. I was just wondering if overall general speed would increase and if it did I would probably get it but sounds good, thanks!