Which To Buy: MacBook or MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iLog.Genius, Feb 24, 2009.

1. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Kind of stuck on which to purchase and would appreciate anyone's input (possibly from those who have the portables or have experience with them)

Originally was going to get "Early-2008" MacBook Pro but with further reading, wasn't worth the trouble/hassle to deal with the 8600M GT if and when it would defect.

I figured with the substantial upgrade to the MacBook, it would be pretty close to the Early-2008 MacBook Pro so was wondering if I should get the 2.4GHz MacBook or 2.4GHz MacBook Pro w/ 9600M GT 256MB?

Tasks/Applications I will most likely run include:
    - Adobe Creative Suite (but casually, not looking to do any serious projects)
    - play a few games (games which are kind of demanding but nothing like Crysis)
    - running XP/Vista (not sure if natively or emulated) for some basic java things for my BlackBerry
    - encoding/decoding various media file types

Did a little research and know that the 9600M GT has a noticeable difference in performance in comparison to the 9400M but how much will it come to play for the tasks I will be performing. If not, would it be worth it to just pay an additional $400 CDN for the MacBook Pro and the 2.1-inch increase in display and the difference in resolution?

2. SteveMobs macrumors 6502

SteveMobs

You should be fine with the 2.4 MB.

If you search you'll find loads of info on this topic.

3. alexbates macrumors 65816

alexbates

MBP, its the best for what you are looking for.

I don't see why so many people would want to get the 2.4GHz MB. The MBP is 400 more, but well worth it.

I agree... I have read about 5 thread on the same exact topic. I guess people have different needs based on what Apps they are using, so it is worth starting a new thread.

4. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

For me, I went with the MB just because I don't like a 15.4 inch screen on my laptop, too large for me. Also, the $400 is pretty significant.

OP: The MB should be plenty for what you need to do.

5. piimaPAKK macrumors member

If possible go to a store and compare them side by side.
    I have both 2.4ghz MB and 2.53ghz MBP and i like the MBP screen much much more also it feels faster even doing things where it shouldnt like surfing the web.
    Also as far as i can tell MBP is more quiet when doing light tasks.
    Choose wisely so you dont end up buying both like i did :eek:

6. iLog.Genius thread starter macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

I was strongly considering the MacBook Pro just for the screen size alone. I just think the 13.3-inch display on the MacBook is a bit too small where as the 15.4-inch on the MacBook Pro is just right. As a few of you already stated, looks like the MacBook's hardware would be fine for what I need to do, so it comes down to whether 2.1-inch different between the two models is worth the $400 as I really won't be taking advantage of the 9600M GT.

I appreciate the input being provided.

7. piimaPAKK macrumors member

Its not that much about the size of the screen but image quality/viewing angles.

8. jofus macrumors member

How often are you going to have the computer hooked up to an external display? How often do you travel? The 13" is great for plane rides and if you plan to drive an external monitor a fair amount of the time, then you should be ok with the MB. I have the MBP and would like a MB, but I need the power of the MBP. I use it hooked up to an external monitor most of the time.

9. kremer4 macrumors member

I'm a sucker for screen size and I don't like the extra real estate of an external monitor. I had a MB then I sold it and went with a 15" MBP and now I sold that and just got a 17" MBP :eek:

I sure hope they don't release a 19" MBP :D

10. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

Patriks7

Exactly. If you are doing any kind of Adobe work, and don't have an external, I seriously suggest the MBP. Plus, you never know when you could end up playing some better games and will need the 9600. The same reason made me go for the Pro, even though I prefer the 13" for traveling (and I travel A LOT). Here's hoping for a Mac NetBook!

11. iLog.Genius thread starter macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Don't have a external monitor that will benefit me when running CS4.

Won't be doing much travel (either be using at home or at school) so size doesn't really matter. Well, I guess that's settled, MacBook Pro it is!