which to buy? your input ......

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by streinrog, Jun 5, 2007.

1. streinrog macrumors newbie

Hello folks:

I am deciding between a MBP

2.2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 800 MHz FSB
    2GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - 2x1GB with expandable to 4 GHz
    120GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm
    SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    15-inch Widescreen Display

Price 1840 after tax, AD membership fees and ADC discount.

and a MB

2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 667 MHz FSB
    2GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - 2x1GB with expandable to 3GHz with loss of dual channel functionality
    120GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm
    SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)

Price 1490 after tax and Student discount.

I am a masters student in bioinformatics. I would be using a lot of Mathematica and Matlab, do C++ JAVA and lisp programming. I will also use some image processing through Photoshop. This is apart from the usual functions of Word and Powerpoint (or Neooffice).

Which do people recommend, considering the following:

1. The needs as I listed above.
    2. I hope to keep the notebook for say 4-5 years.
    3. Is the pricne difference of 350$ worth it?
    4. Which is a better buy considering future-proofing? (eg. the MBP RAM is expandable to 4GB)

Thanks in advance.

2. streinrog thread starter macrumors newbie

3. mattsajay macrumors member

i would go for a MB still... MBP with 350$ is not worth it. the MB with the specs that you mention will last you a couple of years. after that sell the machine and buy the latest mahine available then.

4. weeman macrumors 6502

If I was in your situation, I would probably go with the macbook and get applecare with the money saved.

5. landis macrumors regular

i love how no one will answer the question asked.

the mbp is better because of the larger screen, maybe that is why he wanted it

i would go with the new mbp because for processor intensive work you will want the newest computer. plus it will increase the resale value

6. Igantius macrumors 65816

Go for the MBP.

I’m not totally au fait with Mathematica and Matlab - but if memory serves me correctly, both aren’t reliant on the GPU – with the same RAM, I would expect the MBP to be only marginally faster.

However, having 4GB instead of 2GB would make a difference; the MBs can only access 3.3GB of RAM when 4GB is installed according to reader reports (although until there’s more scientific reporting of this, I wouldn’t bother doing this myself).

The extra screen size would be useful if you’re not using an external monitor.

I would expect the resale value to be higher in the MBP than the MB – but then, there’s quite a bit that could happen that could affect this for either machine in 4-5 years.

The extra cost of $350, although not brilliant, is reasonable… to me anyway.

7. Dynamyk macrumors 6502a

Dynamyk

If money isn't really an issue get the MBP, in the future if you decide you want to game or get into video editing it will be there waiting for you. Plus the resale value is higher.