Which to buy?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by s29myk, Mar 16, 2015.

1. s29myk macrumors newbie

Hi,

After a bit of advice...

I'm looking at buying a new MacBook Pro 13", specced out to the i7, 16gb of ram and 1tb drive.

I mainly use it for pretty basic stuff but quite enjoy my photography and having a play about so would want to use it for that.

I also have just recently purchased a gopro hero4 which can record in 4K. My current setup can't really touch the playback of that video (phenom II processor, 16gb of ram).

Would anyone know if the 13" MacBook would be suitable for video editing etc or would I be better off going for the 15"?

Thanks!

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I don't believe the current 13" rMBP is best suited for video editing, the 15" rMBP is a better option imo.

3. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

It'll do it

and it'll out put it to a 4k monitor @ 60 Hz too with the right monitor and adapter. However it won't be very quick at rendering and working on 4K video I shouldn't think. Depends how complicated what you want to do in 4K is I suppose. You will get much better performance from the 4 cores in the 15 for that though.

4. geoelectric macrumors 6502

geoelectric

5. matreya macrumors 65816

matreya

I agree, the 15" is the model to get if you're going to be processing 4k gopro videos.

6. s29myk thread starter macrumors newbie

I thought that the 13" with i7 processor would be pretty much the same as the 15".

If going for the 15 I'd probably opt for the one with dedicated nvidia gfx, 2.8ghz processor and 1tb drive.

I just presumed that the 3.1ghz 13" would be on par.

Is there any new 15" due out anytime soon? Don't want to get it and find a month down the line a new one is released (waited till now as they've just announced the new MacBook 13").

7. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

Seriously doubt a new 15" will be out in a month. Maybe WWDC in June, and as time goes on after that, probability increases.

8. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Thats why assumption is the mother of

all cock ups....

The 13 inch rMBP's use dual core chips accross the line up. The 15 inchers use quad core chips. The i7 and i5 designations make very little difference within these chips it is all aboput core numbers they all hyperthread as well.

Looking like broadwell will get to them in June but apple may skip and wait for skylake.

9. Meister Suspended

Meister

For 4k video editing the 15" is the obvious choice.
    Also, by the time you max out ram, cpu and ssd you might as well just get the 15".

I might add that the base 13" is very capable of video editing if you don't mind having a cup of coffee will it renders.

10. snaky69 macrumors 603

The 15" has two more cores, there's no way a dual core'd 13" can compete.

11. xiwong macrumors member

I don't think a 13" will be good for you. I don't know what Phenom II you have (quad or hex core, OC or not) but even the old Phenom II X4s from 2011 should be computationally faster than the dual core in the rMBP 13. You're going to need a quad core with a dGPU for this.

I don't believe that a new 15" will be out within the next couple of months (probably later this year though), but the dGPU in the 15 is really old and slow. It is a rebrand of the 650M and both the now old 850M and new 950M are immensely more powerful. If you wait until Apple puts Maxwell in the rMBP 15 you will be rewarded for your time.

12. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Even the 2.2GHz i7 in the 15" will be almost twice as fast as the 3.1GHz i7 in the 13".

13. s29myk thread starter macrumors newbie

I hadn't realised their would be that much difference! I thought an i7 was an i7 and that was that!

It's handy to know. I'll probably end up speccing up the 15" top range one then.

Was then potentially looking at a henge desktop stand and a 27" screen for when at home.

My current computer is a PC with an AMD Phenom II X4 965, 16GB ram, GTX 260 graphics card with 2gb of ram. So not the most recent! I'm guessing that this will be a nice step up in speed! (and coming from windows to mac will be a breath of fresh air as well!)