Which To Get? Need Some Tips.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Krovem, Feb 20, 2009.

1. Krovem macrumors 6502

Krovem

Hey everyone.
    I have decided i want an Apple Computer instead of PC even though i can get PC cheaper but i am all into Apple lol.

I do small business, some youtube videos, emails, internet and entertaiment. I want a laptop not a desktop. I looked at iMac and they are very cool but I have a 37" LCD HD TV in my room so i dont need a desk top i can ust connect my comouter to the TV.

I think i want a refurbished i read some articles and learned that they are not soo bad. I also like the 15" better then the 13" because of the size, the 13 inch seems small.

Which would you suggest? (refurbished or new) Also what about rpms? Will i be fine with 5400? Oh and someone suggested me that i dont do too much stuff so apple is just too much for me (just get a PC cheaper).

- Macbook Pro 15" 2.4ghz $1999.00 (or $1699.00 refurb)
    - Macbook Pro 15" 2.53gtz $2099.00 refurb (2.53, 7200rpm)
    - Macbook 13" 2.4gtz $1599.00

Thank You!

2. iSaygoodbye macrumors 6502a

iSaygoodbye

judging by what your needs are there is no reason you should buy a macbook pro just get the macbook

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Not really. Welcome to Apple!

Get a 15" MacBook Pro or a high-end 13" MacBook. Either will do what you want to do well, and each should last you five years, easy, before you have to upgrade to stay current.

4. mlemonds macrumors 6502a

mlemonds

you havent said anything that flags you for needing the MBP. i think the portability is going to play a big part in your decision. i take my laptop everywhere, so i got the MacBook because it is smaller and lighter. I have a larger LCD that i have the MacBook connected to while i am at home.

5. Krovem thread starter macrumors 6502

Krovem

Hey guys thanks for the replies. Yes few people told me "i dont think you need macbook pro" I agree because of its graphics etc... But only why i want it because it is 15" but that dumb spending $400 - 500 more just for that.

I think ill go with macbook probobly. I dont travel much so i guess macbook will do and connect it to my LCD.

Should i buy new or refurb? Also what about the rpms? 5400 is fine? Oh and i kind of like the LED CINEMA DISPLAY but i guess i dont need it since i got LCD.

Thanks. Hope to hear back.

6. spacecadet610 macrumors 6502

definitely get a refurb. they are usually good as new.

7. mlemonds macrumors 6502a

mlemonds

i think that the 5400 rpm should be fine, but i put a 7200 rpm drive in mine

it shortened my boot times and shortened the time it takes to compile some videos in iMovie. Cheap and EASY upgrade to do yourself.

8. Krovem thread starter macrumors 6502

Krovem

Hey so its not hard? Like i should just get the 5400 version and then upgrade to 7200? I think i want a MBP even though i wont use somew of the stuff but i like the bigger screen. I just talked to my family they just said get the pro because you nver know if you will play game, or get into videos and 15" is nice.

Thanks guys. if you have anymore to add please do.

9. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

Well the 15" definitely has a much better display(in screen size, resolution, and viewing angle), and the dedicated graphics card is a huge benefit if you play games. However, if you do use your MacBook with your external display, the screen size/quality is irrelevant to you, and most games will run just fine on the MacBook. Ultimately, it's your $400 and up to you to see if you can justify the extra cost. It all depends on your needs/budgets.

On both machines, upgrading the hard drive is an extremely simple task. It takes no more than a few minutes and some simple screws to be removed/reinstalled. There are tons of videos on YouTube to help you out with it, but for the most part, it's extremely straightforward(remove battery cover, detach a few screws, remove old hard drive, insert new hard drive, re attach those same screws, put on battery cover).

10. Krovem thread starter macrumors 6502

Krovem

Okay cool thanks. Yeah i have the $400 buks i want to save but i want the bigger screen even though i can plug into my LCD HD TV. Its also actually $200 - 300 diffanc eif i buy refurbished which i will. I would want to have that extra money in my pocket but the screen size is too small in macbook, and i think i might do soem videos etc...

Also anyone has any cupons or anything i know apple sends to their customers (like 35$ off $100+) i woudl really appriciate that.

But hopefully ill buy in march and ill make a video of it and psot some pics.

Thanks

11. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

If portability is your main requirement get the MB; however, if your preference - or need - is for an excellent screen, then get the MBP. It is an extremely good computer - I have one and am very happy with it.

Also, I'd recommend that you go for a refurb. They have been individually tested and tried, and come with Apple's one year warranty and the possibility of adding Applecare should you wish to do so.

Cheers and good luck

12. Krovem thread starter macrumors 6502

Krovem

Thanks, yeah i would get MB if the screen size was bigger. But i think ill go with MBP.

Thanks

ALSO IS THIS A GOOD TIME TO BUY? THEY ARE NOT RELEASING NEW MODEL SOON? SHOULD I WAIT OR BUY?

13. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

Patriks7

I would say that you either get the 2.4 MBP or 2.4 MB (2.0 if you don't want the backlight, but it's a really nice addition!). The 2.53 MBP is a huge overkill for what you do, and not worth the price. I went with the 2.4 MBP even though I was thinking a long time about the 2.4 MB. Only reason I went with the Pro was, because it's my only computer (I have a home server, but that runs on Atom and Linux, meh) and I never know when I will need the extra horsepower of the graphics in the Pro. I did this even though I really loved the portability of my old MacBook. I bet I will regret it for the portability one day (carrying it to school everyday won't be fun), but it was more than worth it for the graphics, Firewire and Expresscard (I'm looking to buy a card reader as I always loose my camera cable :confused: I already lost 4!).
    So it depends on two things really; do you need the portability of the MacBook, or do you rather prefer the bigger screen and better graphics? (TBH, the Pro doesn't seem to much bigger/heavier in my bag so far, but I haven't had the chance to take it to school with all my stuff yet (vacation!)). Also if you have the extra cash, but I'm guessing you do, otherwise you wouldn't even consider the Pro.
    As for the upgrades, no matter which you get, get 4 GB of RAM (Crucial has a great price right now, but I had to go with 20$ more expensive Mushkin as NewEgg was out). As for the harddrive, it depends if you always quit your apps and shut down a lot. I went with a 5400 RPM 500 GB Western Digital because I hardly shut down and I constantly have my most used apps open, so it doesn't really make a big difference. But once the 500 GB SSDs are available, I will definitely get one right away! :p
    But which ever you will buy, you will definitely be happy!

14. Krovem thread starter macrumors 6502

Krovem

Hey thanks for that info =D
    Yeah i have extra cash, and i like the bigger screen. I think MB suits me more for what i do but you never know maybe ill get into the movie making etc...
    My dad keeps suggesting PC but macs are too cool! I think i would be fine with a $600 or less PC laptop but i like macs better.

I am waitng untill April 4th SWEET 16!!! lol. Maybe ill get some money. I work so i think it will be nice gift for my good reward :) lol also my dad threw out there you will probobly need a car... so i was like damn now i cant decide. Ill get computer then littlelter get a car. Hopefully my ebay business wont get effected alot by the conomy problem .

15. marbles macrumors 68000

marbles

get the macbook , and use the 400$ to buy more ram and that 7200rpm drive :) by the time you have worked your way round the OS and got into doing more with the machine there will be newer faster MBP's out and you can get one then.

just a thought

16. Krovem thread starter macrumors 6502

Krovem

Hmm idk :confused: . The bigger screen is nice though :)
    But refurbished macbook is 1400 when i can get brand new for $100 more which to go with?

Damn. This is soo hard lol. If i get MB should i get the LED Cinema display? or just use my LCD? The display is so nice =D

lol i didnt think it would be this hard of choice.

17. PeterQC macrumors 6502a

PeterQC

The LED screen is overpriced for what you're doing. It's 900 bucks. Just use the LCD. Get the low end 2.0GHz Macbook or the 2.4GHz High end Macbook with the backlit keyboard. You're way better to save for college then get a big overpriced led screen, or an computer that will be way too strong for what you're doing. If you want to save you could even buy an plastic Macbook, but I'm pretty sure you just want an alu Macbook anyway.

18. Krovem thread starter macrumors 6502

Krovem

sorry for double post didnt know how to erase post

19. Krovem thread starter macrumors 6502

Krovem

Hmm cant decide MB or MBP :confused: !!! I want the bigger screen but i dont need the graphics card that bad. If i buy MB refurb is $100 less then brand new... which? Also is it good time to buy MB or MBP right now? Are they releasing new once soon?

Also anyone has any cupons ($30 off $100 purchase or anything?) If someone has a spare or something that would be grealy appriciated!

Hmm i think thats all questions for now lol.

Oh and ebay okay to by from?

20. marbles macrumors 68000

marbles

What do you need another display for :confused: you have one already!.

Tis easy really, don't be suckerd into the Apple marketing scheme because it is painstakingly designed to make you want to go for the next sized machine in the pile, even though you don't need it at this time.

Buy a machine that will fulfill your needs ie: a Macbook. Whatever you buy will be considered slow or out of date in 12 months anyway so it doesn't matter!, don't fall for it , save the coins and buy some RAM for the Macbook and maybe a nice external hard drive too, this will give you more computer than you need at this time for the you uses you mentioned and for a long time to come aswell.

Then ..

If you find your enjoying Mac OS X and have furthered an interest in some professional applications (as they structure their free iLife software to make you want to buy the pro apps too!!

ie: garage band > Logic , iPhoto > Aperture etc etc etc.

By the time you've got used to everything! there will be newer, faster macbooks and macbookpro's out and you can get one of those.

Bottom line there are always newer faster machines coming out every 3-6-12 months (cept the Mini of course).

Get what you need, unless it is a status symbol.

PS, regarding discounts , if you are a student your probably eligible for the student discount scheme, if your a teacher you get a discount, if your mom/dad or guardian buy it for you to use in school you get a discount , if you join the developer connection you'll get a discount, if your in colledge or uni your facility can order you a machine and , you guest it , you'll get a discount.

really , get a macbook.

21. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

Patriks7

Of course you can get a cheap PC, but remember, with Macs, you get what you pay for! Just like if you were to buy a 2,000$ PC laptop, it would be miles ahead of the 600$ one.

If you won't use the graphics card, then just go with the MacBook. Before I had my MacBook, I was on a 15" PC laptop and I can say that it was very easy to adjust to the MacBook screen and it never was too small. With your external monitor you can have the big screen at home and the great portability on the go.
    Also, I wouldn't buy from eBay. With all those problems lately, I was hesitant to get my Applecare from there, but in the end had a great deal I couldn't pass even if it was fake :p But getting something so expensive like a MacBook (Pro) from eBay isn't advisable. Just go with the Apple store.

22. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

I would just like to point out you cant actually get a PC cheaper than a Mac, its silly when people think Mac's are overpriced because they arn't.

The guy views youtube and types a few documents all he needs is a Macbook, however since he wants the 15" screen he should get a refurbished Macbook Pro, make sure its an aluminium Unibody one (late 2008 Macbook Pro). Refurbished items from Apple are great, half the time the item you get is brand new for various reasons, and if not they always look brand new. Plus they still come with the normal warranty for 1 year a brand new item would.

23. Krovem thread starter macrumors 6502

Krovem

Gosh i dont know. I think i want to go with MB but i like the MBP 15" but i dont need the graphics card and dont want to pay extra for what i dont need but i have the extra cash.

Also i i buy MB Refurb is $100 cheaper should i do it? or just buy new?

thanks. grr. i should just get both lol. jk.

24. PeterQC macrumors 6502a

PeterQC

Like I said: GET THE MACBOOK. If you don't need a MBP and you have already an LCD TV you'll be fine.

25. Krovem thread starter macrumors 6502

Krovem

Hey everyone. Thank you all for responses.

I have decided to go with :apple:MACBOOK 13" 2.4Ghz REFURBISHED MODEL.

Anymore comments please post. Also this has good speakers?