Which to get?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rctneil, Jun 7, 2017.

1. rctneil macrumors member

I'm in the market for a new Mac as my 2011 iMac died a couple of months or so ago. I was waiting until WWDC just incase new Mac's were announced and I was not disappointed.

I now just don't know which to get:

- 27" iMac
    - 13" Macbook Pro

iMac upsides:
    - Better system for a similar price
    - Huge great screen

iMac downsides:
    - Not portable

Macbook Pro upsides:
    - Portable

Macbook Pro downsides:
    - Small screen (but this doesn't bother me so much)
    - Not being able to have access to all my data at all times

Currently I store a lot of my data on an external 3TB drive, and yes I know I don't need it all at all times. but even my iTunes library, it's 40Gb+ and it seems silly to have it all stored on my small 512Gb internal drive. If I leave my library on my external drive at home then what happens when i'm out and want to use itunes?

I just feel like the Macbook would cause a lot of frustration due to what files I have access to when i'm not at home.

I'm happy to read all your opinions on this.

Thanks,
    Neil

2. Ndalby macrumors newbie

Ndalby

Was (well still am kinda) in this position but on which MacBook Pro to select. I like the 13" size but the 15" has better specs albeit with the TouchBar and a steep price jump, which I couldn't justify for what I would be using the MacBook for compared to my iMac.

If it is to be your main machine I would go for the iMac for the better specs, price and screen size which would allow you to breeze through the majority of most peoples tasks with ease. Plus you can (at least I think) update your RAM at a later date without having to pay Apple's eye watering prices :eek:

3. TheOkeland macrumors member

I would suggest du buy an Macbook Pro and a NAS-Server.
    You could store your Data on the NAS-Server and configure it in a way so that you would have access from everywhere.
    (Ok... everywhere with an internet connection :D)

You would get portability in compromise of screen-size and some power. Dont know what you do with your machine, so maybe a MBP would be fine and you would get portability and access to your files over something like OwnCloud.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 7, 2017 ---
    Upgrading the RAM in the new iMacs? Would not bet on it. But at the moment, I suppose no one will be able to answer that question.

4. Ndalby macrumors newbie

Ndalby

Certainly not on the 21.5" as it has been soldered for the past few refreshes however the 27" is normally still upgradable (should be prompted during customizing RAM on the purchase page).

Thought it was funny during the keynote when they mentioned the 27" is the most popular choice, well duh, it's because you can still upgrade at least part of the system without having your pants pulled down over the price :rolleyes:

5. magamo macrumors 6502

I don't get it. Macbook may not be able to carry all of your data, but you can't carry iMac in the first place. What frustration are you talking about? With iMac, you won't have access to any data on the go for obvious reasons.

Also, you might want to consider cloud storage like Dropbox and iClound.

6. rctneil thread starter macrumors member

That is very very true.

7. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

If you need portability you need a laptop. As to performance and storage you give no indication what apps you run so we cannot advise on performance and storage is a matter of personal preference as to how you use it.

8. rctneil thread starter macrumors member

Ok,

Mainly I use my machine for web dev, Adobe Lightroom, browsing, music

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Either machine will handle that quite easily. If you have mobility needs then get the laptop, if you don't then get the iMac.

10. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Yeah Maflynn has that right your needs aren't too intensive buy whichever suits your needs best a laptop by the sounds of it