Which to get

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by eXoBrute, Jan 18, 2009.

1. eXoBrute macrumors regular

Alright im deciding on the New Macbook Aluminum unibody 2.0GHz OR the Sony Vaio VGN-FW390

You all know the specs of the macbook but these are the specs inside the sony:

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor P8600 (2.40GHz)
    Microsoft® Windows Vista® Home Premium 64-bit
    3 GB DDR2-SDRAM (DDR2-800, 2GB+1GB)
    250 GB SATA Hard Disk Drive [5400 rpm]
    Blu-ray Disc™ Read Only Drive
    ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 3650 with 512MB vRAM
    LCD 16.4" (XBRITE-FullHD™)
    QuickBooks Simple Start
    Windows Live OneCare 90-Day Trial
    Microsoft® Works
    WLAN (802.11a/b/g/n) with integrated Bluetooth® technology

$1219.99

The Macbook is about $80 more but i could get a student discount. So which do you think i should get? The Macbook is obviously more exspencive but the Sony has vista and not OSX.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Wait... you're having trouble deciding when the Mac is only $80 more? I don't give a crap what the specs on the PC are; get the Mac.

3. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Its a question of do you want Mac OS X or Windows? If you want Mac OS get the Mac, and vice versa.

Also the Sony would be slightly slightly slightly better for gaming, which im guessing as your a student may help your decision.

However I would get the Mac
    Its a rather pointless question to ask on an Apple forum.

4. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Ditto, seems like a pretty easy choice OP, go with the Mac, simple.

On a side note, Sonys have crap battery life, my flat mate has a (£1200) Sony, and it averages at 1 1/2 hours battery life... Hardly much of a portable is it...?

5. eXoBrute thread starter macrumors regular

The price isnt really the determination, its the specs, the Sony has 2.4GHz vs the 2.0GHz Macbook id be buying and sony has 3GB RAM, also bluray and a bigger harddrive and screen. What im asking is the Macbook better because of the OSX?

Edit: Really what im asking is what would be the best deal and would last me the longest and be better overall.

6. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Its not quite as simple as 2.0 vs 2.4 Ghz.

Ghz Mean Nothing.

10 years ago we had processors running at 3.0 Ghz (pentium 4)

The 2.0 in the Mac is faster than the 2.4 in the Sony, even if the Mac was running Windows.

Apple has the processors specially designed for them so they have a lower footprint and heat exertion, larger buffers too.

Get the Mac.

7. eXoBrute thread starter macrumors regular

8. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Mac, by far. With later RAM upgrades, Snow Leopard, and the ability to add even a bigger HDD if you want, the MacBook will last you five years at LEAST.

Macs "cost more" up front, but you make up for it by not needing to buy a new computer every two years.

9. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

eXobrute: please make the RIGHT CHOICE. you should get the mac hands down. If you want to talk $$ the mac will last longer, and keep its value very well if and when you do decide to sell it to upgrade. That essentially, makes the 80 bucks difference a non issue.

10. smartalic34 macrumors 6502a

smartalic34

I think Mac OS X with 2 GB RAM runs just as well or better than Vista with 3 GB RAM. vista is more resource-hungry than mac os x, so the "slightly better" sony specs dont mean much. plus, there's os x, as others have pointed out. get the macbook.

11. rhyx macrumors 6502

Get the Mac, I've never been pleased with Sony laptops.

12. nope7308 macrumors 65816

nope7308

Question:
    Why is the comparison between a 13.3" notebook and a 16.4" notebook? It seems that these machines were designed with a different purpose in mind. The Sony has more power, but at the cost of portability. Personally, I would try to compare Apples with Apples (pun intended).

MB all the way. I can only imagine how heavy the Sony must be...