which to keep sell

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Sossity, Dec 28, 2015.

1. Sossity macrumors 6502a

I rcently bought an iphone 6s plus, and like it so far, ialso have an iphone 5s on tmobile, and an iphone 3gs that was on tmobile.

I know I would get more if I sold the 5s on ebay, but I would like to have a backup iphone, and I can also give a phone to a family member.

would the 3gs make a good backup phone? I would like to have a newer backup like the 5s, but I know I would not get anything for the 3gs, it would not be worth the hassel on ebay.

on the other hand, I would like to get some money back from the expense of the 6s plus.

any suggestions on what would be best? I know no one can decide for, just getting some input.

2. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

Seeing as the 3Gs is 6 years old, I'm inclined to think you would find it excruciatingly slow to deal with (now that you've been spoiled by your super fast 6s plus) if you ever had to use it as a backup.

If you want a suitable backup keep the 5s instead.

3. VertPin macrumors 6502

VertPin

Definitely do not keep the 3GS as a backup phone. If you need a backup phone, keep your 5S.

4. geoff5093 macrumors 68000

geoff5093

Do not keep the 3GS as a backup phone. Not only is it insanely slow and runs an ancient OS, but you are also missing many of the network bands that carriers use these days, so where you have gotten service on your 5S/6, you might not on your 3GS.

5. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

If your backup phone just needs basic functions like calls and texts, the 3GS is fine. If you want to actually restore and icloud or itunes backup to your device, the 3GS won't be able to do this since its maximum iOS version is lower than what you are running on the 6s Plus.

6. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

Just curious as to why you feel you need a "backup phone"? I've never felt any need for that. Have been using iPhones since 2007 and never had any failures, losses or breakage. Before that, I had a problem with an old Samsung phone once. Took it a local Verizon store and walked out with a new one within an hour or less.

7. CNeufeld macrumors 6502a

I used an iPhone 4 for a few weeks prior to getting my 6s, and it was pretty painful. The worst part was the battery life, since it was an old well-used battery. If I got to lunch without having to plug it, it was a good day. I'd rather keep the 5s, if I was you.

C