Which to purchase

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by milkerz, Mar 8, 2013.

1. milkerz macrumors newbie

I currently have the black macbook from 2007...i think its about time to get a new macbook but i dont know which to get...i used to game but i dont really anymore..im really just looking for a new macbook to use for your standard laptop uses...at the same time i still want it to be worth the extra money i am spending to have a macbook instead of a dell or some other product..

would u advise getting the 13 inch mbp for 1199, the more powerful mbp for 1499 or the retina display mpb for the 1499

is the speed difference and memory difference between the first two that different?

i basically will only be adding like 30gb of music and possibly wow or a different game or 2..

please let me know which you think gives me my best bang for my buck THANKS!!!!

p.s. if i go to an apple store can i sell back my old macbook and get the data transferred or do i need an external hard drive

2. minifridge1138 macrumors 6502a

First, I think ANY of the current MBP machines will be significantly faster than the 2007 MB. Any of them will make you happy.

If you go to the Apple Store they will transfer the data to the new one for you, you do not need to sell your old one back. You also do not need an external hard drive.

Also, you will get more for the Black MacBook by selling it yourself (Craigslist for example) then you would recycling it with Apple. Lots of people (myself included) think the Black MacBooks look great and would happily buy one in working order.

3. milkerz thread starter macrumors newbie

4. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

It's more of a question of which screen size is better suited to your needs. I personally find the 13" too small. If it works for you, it's a nice compact size. Is the clarity of the retina screen important to you? If not, go with either of the classic models. Remember that the retina can't be upgraded so you need to think about how much memory you want from the start.

5. Spink10 Suspended

Spink10

Either get the base cMBP or rMBP if you want the added screen / ssd - from your use it doesn't really matter which one you get they will all carry the load.

Spring for the rMBP if you can afford it and not hurt your pocket in the process.

6. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

If you plan on doing gaming, you'll likely want to get a 15". For $1,499, you should be able to get a 15" refurb.

There's quite some controversy over cMBP vs rMBP. However, since you seem to be on a budget (correct me if I'm wrong), I'd recommend the cMBP as you can self-upgrade to 16GB RAM for *far* cheaper than on a rMBP (which in-fact can not be upgraded at all).

I doubt you can "sell" them the old MacBook, but you will however be able to transfer the data.

7. designs216 macrumors 65816

designs216

I think the cMBP is the perfect machine for you. It's hard for me to recommend the rMBP for anyone but the folks that absolutely must have the most portability/powerhouse combo, and are willing to shill out heavy cash.