Which to use for photo editing?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by hkbladelawkhk, May 25, 2010.

1. hkbladelawkhk macrumors member

So I've currently got a 4 yr old dell 4700, with a Pentium 4. Starting to slow down, and ready for something new. I use a mac at work, and love many of the abilities (the one I use is a PPC).

My job and schooling revolve around photo editing, possibly video editing and website design.

Originally thought of a Mac Pro, but was hearing it might just be overkill for someone buying their computer via student loans. So I started to look into the 27" i7 iMac. Though I must admit, after reading a few posts, I'm quite worried about buying one. I have had very few issues with my dell over the years, and many of the problems, I fixed on my own within a day or so. I can't afford to be without a computer for more than a day, it is literally my life (business and school).

So a first thing's first, what are your guys' thoughts on the situation?

Second question. I have all my editing software for windows....so I'm going to need to be able to use that on the new mac (if I get one, tomorrow possibly).

I've looked into the 3 options, and ironically enough, parallels has been getting the worst ratings.

I spoke to the guys in the mac store about using boot camp, but my install disk is service pack 2 (it's a dell install disk as well, media center. I've used it for 2 installs, it installs like XP should, then goes into the random additions), and they said I need SP3.

What do you think would be the best approach? I run lightroom, photoshop and dreamweaver. As well as plan to keep blackberry desktop on the windows side, it sucks on the Mac side.

2. teleromeo macrumors 65816

teleromeo

Your lightroom password can be used crossplatform. Maybe you should get in contact with adobe to ask if you can get a license for photoshop and dreamweaver as a switcher.

3. hkbladelawkhk thread starter macrumors member

That's not gonna happen. :) Gotta run it as windows software. What's the best way to do it that way?

4. hkbladelawkhk thread starter macrumors member

Any further ideas? Do we know if mac if full of it, or will SP2 really not install?

5. Dr.Dubzz macrumors newbie

I just bought an iMac and I installed XP with SP2 with bootcamp, no problem

6. hkbladelawkhk thread starter macrumors member

Ended up getting an iMac and installing VMware, using an old install CD with service pack 2. Works perfectly for now :)

7. lee14160 macrumors regular

lee14160

Congrats on the new iMac 27". If you have the money get a copy of Windows 7 HP, and install it within Boot camp that way you can run all your Adobe/Windows software using the i7 processor to its full extent. Good luck with the 27". :)

8. hkbladelawkhk thread starter macrumors member

:). Too broke for that now. As it is, my iMac is on credit card. Gotta wait for FALL semester disbursement of my student loans. Lovely :)

Most of my editing is done in lightroom, so I'm not too worried. It's not intensive on this computer, I only allowed it 2000 megs of ram and 1 processor core, Runs pretty well :-D