Which tripod

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by bs2511feist, Oct 15, 2011.

1. bs2511feist macrumors member

I use the hxr-mc50u, it's a compact camcorder that cost $1,400. I would like a nice tripod that tilts and turns smoothly because i am tired of using those cheap 20 dollar ones that turn rigidly and choppy. I really don't want to go over $200. I don't need something very special, just something that wont fall apart and that can turn without stops that wont thin out my wallet too much.

2. simsaladimbamba

I have a tripod, that cost me 80€ from Cullmann, and it still wasn't very fluent, as it lacks a ball head, but maybe this trick can help you getting smoother pans and tilts.

3. bs2511feist thread starter macrumors member

Wow, that sounds like it would work, but i'm away from my camera right now so i can't try it and i am still open to different tripods if they are worth it to me.

4. linuxcooldude macrumors 68020

I use a tripod by Varizoom VZTK75A that has a fluid head that has resistance that is adjustable. Its quite durable and heavyduty even though its listed as a lightweight stand. It comes in at $200.

5. bs2511feist thread starter macrumors member

Sounds a little pricy... i found it for $182. I'm definitely going to try the rubber band trick before i buy any tripods.

6. simsaladimbamba

It may not work well with a very cheap tripod, it will work better with a god fluid or ball head.

7. matteusclement macrumors 65816

matteusclement

spend the extra $100!
    Once you buy a set of sticks, you're going to keep them for the rest of your life.
    And to be blunt, wtf was the point of buying a really nice camera just to have $%^&itty pans and tilts. $300 for a piece of gear that you will use for EVERY CAMERA you will ever buy again.
    Think of it as buying glass for a DSLR. :D

Just sayin'.

8. bs2511feist thread starter macrumors member

9. martinX macrumors 6502a

martinX

I have one of these with one of these on top of it. Quite nice.

I second the rubber band trick. Also, if you're on the tripod, turn image stabilisation off (that may only be true for digital image stabilisation and not optical, I'm not sure but it wouldn't hurt anyway).

10. musique macrumors regular

musique

Like so many other things, once you start investigating you keep upping your price range along with options and/or quality.

I had planned on spending about the same as your $200-300 and wound up spending much more. :eek: OTOH I'm very satisfied with my purchase.

First, make sure the tripod and fluid head combination you're considering are made to support your camera as well as things you might one day add, such as an external video monitor, battery or batteries, light, microphone/wireless receiver, and possibly an audio recorder.

Then, if you can, try out the gear with your camera mounted on it. See how fluid the head is. Can you adjust the tension in all dimensions from very loose to very taut? Is it easy to adjust the height of the tripod? Is there a solid plate on which to mount your camera? Is there a cross-brace, either at the bottom or the middle?

Note: Some feel that cross-braces are more of a pain than they are worth. I feel that it gives the tripod an extra measure of stability. When you're zoomed in all the way on a windy day, you might find that it's the only way to get the perfect shot.

Another thing to consider is the head itself. If you purchase a standard sized bowl head (probably 75 mm for a light camera) you can move it to another set of sticks (legs). This might be useful if you find a lighter and/or firmer set of legs in the future.

Lastly, what about the feet? Some will come with rubber feet, which is great for indoor shooting on hard floors. But on carpet or outdoors you might want to have sharp points for feet. Some tripods will provide a mechanism to switch or replace one type with another.

Good luck.

11. bs2511feist thread starter macrumors member

I'm thinking about buying a Bogen Manfrotto 3036 Tripod with 3063 Fluid Head from a guy a found on craigslist for 200 dollars. it is in great condition but it is used. Tell me if you guys think i am making a good deal or not, should i offer him less? I will post some pictures he sent me(, it will also come with a dolly and release plate that were not photographed.)

----------

12. bs2511feist thread starter macrumors member

pictures

Attached Files:

13. bs2511feist thread starter macrumors member

more picture

Attached Files:

14. bs2511feist thread starter macrumors member

last picture

Attached Files:

15. matteusclement macrumors 65816

matteusclement

looks worth about 200.
    I'm cheap tho, go for 150.

16. Redsand187 macrumors member

17. Kevin Monahan macrumors regular

That does look pretty cool for a budget tripod.

I prefer Vinton http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/734609-REG/Vinten_VB_AP2M_VB_AP2M_Camera_Support_System.html

or anything by Sachtler (expensive but worth it, IMHO) http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/601879-REG/Sachtler_0372_0372_FSB_4_Aluminum_Tripod.html

18. Paratel macrumors 6502

Paratel

I like my Manfrotto MeDeve tripod. it allows me to level is without adjusting the legs as the head sits on a leveling ball. I also have the 501 fluid head.

19. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

I have a manfrotto 504 head, expensive but does the trick for me and my sony nx5u.. but i too secretly want a Sachtler :p