Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xlosltove777

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2006
Long Island, NY
For size go for DLP which can generally be had in larger sizes for less money.

I honestly feel like DLP is one of the best kept secrets. People focus on things like slimness so much that they miss out on the value you can get with DLP. My family purchased a 50'' Samsung 720p years ago for just under $1,000. A few months later my brother paid the same(maybe a little more) for a 42'' Sony LCD. If I were to purchase a new one I would get this: 61'' Samsung.

Obviously some places don't have the room, my brother had a small apartment when he bought his, the LCD made more sense.

As far as the Samsung vs. Sony I haven't noticed any significant issues with either TV and they were bought a few years ago. I have used multiple smaller Samsung LCD computer monitors and those have all lasted and had no issues. But I would imagine larger panels found in TVs tend to have more issues simply because of the size.

MovieCutter

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2005
Washington, DC
I'm an all-Samsung household myself. Nice design, great picture, known quality, better reviews. I have a 32" 500 series and a 52" 700 series. Gonna be picking up a 40" LED series this week for the new office.

waloshin

macrumors 68040
Oct 9, 2008
Have a 40" Sony 40v4100, its a beautiful tv 1080p and all. Great Value!

Go with Sony!

wywern209

macrumors 65832
Sep 7, 2008
do you rly want to know?
panasonic viera. they use S-IPS panels which are superior in picture quality to the TN panels that are commonly used in the majority of the TVs. Also LG makes some good ones too. when it comes down to it, go and see some models in store.

Chris Rogers

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2008
my house
Check Consumer Reports - They have unbiased opinions. I consider their research for a lot of things, from kitchen appliances to cars to TV's. Anyway, if you want check the attachment.

Attachments

• LCD TV Ratings & Reliability.pdf
    178.9 KB · Views: 205

MowingDevil

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2008
Vancouver, BC & Sydney, NSW
So I've checked out 2 rather comparable Samsung sets, both are 40", 1080p and have similar features....the one thats 120hz is about $1500 CDN and the 240hz is $2500 (B750 @ FutureShop). Now granted the 240 unit might have a few additional features regarding connecting your computer/internet to it...but thats not really an issue if you are getting Apple TV anyways. So I'm wondering, is the 240hz really worth an extra grand over the 120hz unit? Granted the more expensive one is quite spectacular but the 120 is no slouch. I'm told you'll really notice the "ghosting" and blurry artifacts in fast motion in true HD like Bluray on 60hz machines....is it a problem on 120s but not as much on 240s?

Unprocessed1

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2008
While the difference between 60HZ (standard) and 120HZ is huge and noticeable, the difference between 120HZ and 240HZ isn't nearly as big and is NOT worth an extra $1,000

There could rarely be minimal ghosting on a 120HZ tv, but you might not even notice it. .I think it depends more on the TV itself.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
While the difference between 60HZ (standard) and 120HZ is huge and noticeable, the difference between 120HZ and 240HZ isn't nearly as big and is NOT worth an extra $1,000

There could rarely be minimal ghosting on a 120HZ tv, but you might not even notice it. .I think it depends more on the TV itself.

I disagree

Personally I think that 60 vs 120 vs 240 is all just marketing

Having used 60 and 120 and seeing all three in action at say best buy, I see no difference. May be I am not a visual'phile though

WIth that said, I saved a few hundred and got a nice 60hz set. Im happy

MacBlackBook22

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2007
Canada
Sony for sure

My vote is for Sony. When I owned CRT tv's I much preferred Panasonic over Sony as I found that the colour was overly red on the Sony CRT's. But when it came time for my purchase of flat panel TV I found the Sony Bravia XBR's hands down had the best picture. I now own 2 models. A 32" which is the bedroom one and the 52" Sony XBR4 in the living room/home theatre set up. I have had them for about 2 years and still think they have the best overall picture. I bought them a year apart and both were bought just after Christmas as the Sony Store has big sales on them then

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
About a year ago I bought a high end Samsung TV, and a year or two before that I had bought a high end Sony TV. I wish I had stuck with Sony the 2nd time around... The Samsung is good, but in general I decided I prefer Sony.

Also, my Samsung TV is 120hz, and I keep that feature turned off. With 120hz on, everything looks like it is moving in fast forward even though its not. I don't know why, but I know it's not just me cuz I've seen other people talking about it online, but I don't know if it's most people or a small minority.

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
Nashville
About two years ago I picked up a Pioneer 1080p plasma, and man is it beautiful! I LOVE it. The Pioneers are typically $1000+ more then any other plasma, and they are worth it. BUT I found it in close out and paid a lot less. Pioneer is no longer in the plasma business though. :(

I preferred plasma over LCD because I have young kids and the plasmas have glass over the screen thus making them much stronger and can actually take a hit.

If I was to buy a new TV now, I would consider the Samsungs and really look as the LED TV's vs the LCD. LED is the wave of the future.

I had Sony for years but every Sony TV I had would die within 4 to 5 years. Also they always do something different, they don't follow what others are doing, everything has to be "invented" by them and this sometimes is a good thing, but often something that ends up not being supported. :(

BigAudio

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2009
If you buy a sony, you will probably have a samsung panel in it. Samsung is the only one that ever made a 40" LCD panel, so you know for sure that if you see a 40" sony, its a samsung panel.

I personally cant stand the interpolation that the 120Hz, and 240 Hz lcd's do. It makes most things look cartoonish, and hyper realistic. It makes big budget special effect driven movies look like an NBC movie of the week. They also tend to make things shot on film, look like video.

For these reasons, I still gravitate to plasma, and the Panasonic V10 series rivals (dare I say) the pioneer elites.

and as far as other brands.. I would stay away from LG. Maybe they have changed.. but I install tv's for a living, and I have already taken down 4 or 5 dead LG's that were a max, 4 years old. Besides, does anyone even know what LG stands for?

(meanwhile, I will pretend that the LG panels in the Imac are somehow OK. LOL)

Aldaris

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2004
Salt Lake
Another Samsung for Life

I had a sony receiver that I had to get fixed twice... Never again, switched to Samsung, and have never had an issue. I have gone as far as having two Samsung televisions, two samsung home theater sound systems, laser monochrome, and laser color printers-And never a problem! Mac and Samsung for life!

whats.the.story

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2009
Led

A quick note on the Samsung LED,
My family bought a series 7 LED 50" and had it home for 1 day before we took it back. While it does have a brilliant picture, it seems that they have taken out the decent speakers that they use in the LCD series 6,7 (not sure about the higher series, never used them) and put in smaller ones to make the display more compact.
This is fine if your happy to have an external audio system connected to it all of the time, but if you want a tv thats an all round stunner, go for the Samsung series 7 LCD. Thats what we have now and it's awesome! Brilliant Picture, Brilliant sound quality, Brilliant format support, a host of HDMI's, pretty easy set up, an all round awesome tv. Only problem is that the bezel attracts dust quite badly... keep your polishing cloth around.
Oh and BTW we still use a surround sound system with it for movies... ended up getting the HT-TZ425 which has wireless rears, and an iPod dock =)

Hope that helps

J&JPolangin

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2008
Close to a boarder, in Eu
OP, did you ever get a TV?

...Samsung's look great but the LED tech is still pretty new/expensive compared to other models... Sharp also now has a 65" LED, have you considered them?

My DLP 61" 1080p JVC won't get retired until I can reasonably replace it with something >70"...

uraniumwilly

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2007
I'll Never Buy Another Samsung

The Samsung 52 inch we purchased 2 years ago just broke. If you do a google search: "samsung capacitor problem" you'll find a number of hits. It turns out they installed bad capacitors and there are many people with very expensive broken flatscreen TVs. It lasted 2 years. Piece of sh@t.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
The Samsung 52 inch we purchased 2 years ago just broke. If you do a google search: "samsung capacitor problem" you'll find a number of hits. It turns out they installed bad capacitors and there are many people with very expensive broken flatscreen TVs. It lasted 2 years. Piece of sh@t.

we had a 60in Sony die on us a year ago

Sucked as it cost like 6k at the time

BigAudio

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2009
I honestly feel like DLP is one of the best kept secrets. People focus on things like slimness so much that they miss out on the value you can get with DLP. My family purchased a 50'' Samsung 720p years ago for just under $1,000. A few months later my brother paid the same(maybe a little more) for a 42'' Sony LCD. If I were to purchase a new one I would get this: 61'' Samsung.

Obviously some places don't have the room, my brother had a small apartment when he bought his, the LCD made more sense.

As far as the Samsung vs. Sony I haven't noticed any significant issues with either TV and they were bought a few years ago. I have used multiple smaller Samsung LCD computer monitors and those have all lasted and had no issues. But I would imagine larger panels found in TVs tend to have more issues simply because of the size.

Samsung got out of the DLP game after the 08 model year.. and the 61 inch LED back light was a great set.. its still no where near as bright as current generation LCD's...

If you really want large DLP, the only game in the US is Mitsubishi.. LCD pricing cannibalized all the less than 60 skus

BigAudio

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2009
OP, did you ever get a TV?

...Samsung's look great but the LED tech is still pretty new/expensive compared to other models... Sharp also now has a 65" LED, have you considered them?

My DLP 61" 1080p JVC won't get retired until I can reasonably replace it with something >70"...

Your JVC is probably HDILA.. or LCOS .. not DLP.

and it was the best rear projection set.. period. JVC was the only one that perfected it.. too bad they are gone now too..

Bye Bye Baby

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2004
i(am in the)cloud
I could not recommend Samsung from my personal experience. They look good and Samsung has some good offers, but the truth is they do not last. All he Samsung products that I have bought (cell phone, tv and a washing machine) have not lasted.

I have chosen Sony for my TVs and could not be happier. the Z series is a real winner.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.