Which Uber app to get?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by hajime, Sep 5, 2016.

1. hajime macrumors 68040

Hello, a friend suggested me to use Uber to find taxi nearby. From the App Store, I found "Uber by Uber Technologies. Inc." and "GO: Discount for new UBER riders by Bryan Farris". Which one should I get? I am not sure but it seems that the first one may be the officer one and the second app may be from somebody who might not be affiliated with the company?

2. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Get the official one; it seems you know which this is.

3. D.T. macrumors 604

D.T.

In general, _always_ the get the official app for services that require authentication, otherwise, you're passing that data through who knows where.

4. hajime, Sep 5, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2016

hajime thread starter macrumors 68040

Thanks all for the reply.

Upon installation of the app, it asked for my first name and last name. Do I have to use the real name? I am a bit hesitated to give out the info to unknown taxi drivers.

From iTunes Preview, I read some Customer Reviews and tried the $20 coupon codes. The first one "UberNSJ72" is not valid but the second one "UberBEN44" works. Then, a screen shows up on my iPhone saying that I get $20 off in the first ride with Benjamin's promotion. Then, it asks for some kind of credit card information or PayPal.

I don't know where the money from Benjamin's promotion came from. Not sure if it is from Uber Technologies, Inc. or some user. If I enter my credit card number, will the one who offered the promotion code get access to my credit card information? Do I have to worry about it?

Besides Paypal and credit card, can I pay using iTunes card? Anybody succeed in doing that?