Which UK SIM allows Hotspot tethering?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by agaskew, Apr 11, 2012.

1. agaskew macrumors 6502

Hi all,

I moved my iPad2 O2 SIM to my new iPad.

So far it works well enough, however O2 still have not enabled the Personal Hotspot setting :mad:

If I phone them up to ask about it, I'm lucky if they have any clue what I'm on about.

So, which alternative UK iPad data-only SIMS enable the Personal Hotspot in the new iPad?

Thanks

2. Gol27 macrumors regular

From what I have heard on various forums no UK carrier has the hotspot feature yet. I'm on Three myself and when I rang them up they didn't have a clue either.

3. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I'm with O2 on the "All Rounder" plan for phone...This allows tethering but you have to watch your data allowance. The trouble with them is that the customer service people don't have a clue...As far as the hotspot goes, I can't find anything on the site, but that doesn't mean they don't support it. I've tethered my phone a couple of times when no wifi was available but it can get pretty expensive.

Look on the bolt on section of the site for more information..O2 are still the best carrier IMO with the best coverage, it's just a shame they have such poor CS.

4. AshUK macrumors newbie

I'm PAYG on 3, and it works on mine..... I did use a US sim whilst over there, and T-Mobile allow it, when I returned back, it (mobile hotspot) continues to stay.

Ash

5. MacAttacka macrumors 6502

Well Im also on 3 and have their all you can eat data which when I signed my contract last year explicitly allowed tethering. I use my phone to tether my iPad and PC at all times. The all you can eat data means you never get charged an excess.

The call centre staff are muppets but deffinitely check you can still tether (they may have changed their T&Cs) before you commit.

Actually if im not mistaken their 30 day rolling contracts are all you can eat with tether. Might be worth checking that out.

6. agaskew thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks all.

Just to say it again, I'm not talking about Personal Hotspot on the iPhone. I have that through O2 and its working.

This is specifically a query about tethering to the new iPad. I would like to use my iPad as a mobile hotspot, but O2 won't let me. Maybe a jailbreak is on the cards...

7. SignalCorps macrumors newbie

Read the thread "New iPad Personal Hotspot missing (UK)". "Three" lets you do what you want. There was a carrier update required to make it happen that was just completed in mid-April. The whole story is on the thread. O2 may have to do something similar.

8. Confuzzzed macrumors 68000

Confuzzzed

Hi mate, not able to help you in any way but out of interest, why are you looking to do this? The only reason I can think of is so you can tether your laptop to this for web browsing and the like, but surely you can do that on the iPad. I can see why people want to make their phone into a hotspot (to get bigger screen real estate) but the iPad? Just curious

9. sparkytfc macrumors newbie

personal hotspot

good morning all,

just a quick reply to your post im on t-mobile and that allows you to tether to your ipad:)