Which update to go for? (MBP)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Hellseeker, Feb 21, 2008.

  1. Hellseeker macrumors member

    Hellseeker

    Joined:
    Dec 18, 2007
    #1
    Hi all
    First of all, I'm really sorry if this may seem very much like another "Should I wait for the update" thread, because it isn't... really.
    So, I'm thinking of getting a Macbook Pro for high school, which is after the summer holidays. I'm not going to get it from an apple store here in Denmark tho, because I can save about 900-1200$, depending on the model, by getting it in the states! And, pretty fortunate for me, we're going to New York in April! Which means I can get both the Penryn update (if Apple's going to pull it off sometime soon) and save about about three months pay (I'm only 15, so I only get like 300$ a month).
    BUT... and this is where the but comes in... when I heard the news about the Monteniva chipset coming in june I started wondering if I should wait, since I won't need the MBP before August. I'm going to England sometime in July, which I believe should be enough time for Apple to push in the updated MBP? Am I very wrong about this? It's about 400$ more in England, but I figured, if the £ keeps dropping until then, maybe the price difference won't be so large after all? Plus, I thought maybe the Monteniva update would raise the resell price a bit, compared to the Penryn version?

    Sooooo... Somebody help me out here please!
    Should I save a lot and get the Penryn in the US?
    Or
    Should I save a bit less (it's still 800$ :eek:) and hope Apple's updated to the Monteniva in July?

    Thanks a lot!
    And again, sorry for the "Should I wait or get it now" related post... I just really need some feedback, because I'm pretty excited about getting my Macbook :D
     
  2. catchdry macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 11, 2008
    Location:
    Norway
    #2
    Don't wait. You will go crazy if it does not come out in time for your trip.
    See how people here wait for MBP now. I would not count on that apple will update to penryn in march for then update to Montevina in june.

    Just my opinion
     
  3. MoeOz macrumors member

    Joined:
    Nov 18, 2007
    #3
    Get it from the states .

    Well , i would advice you with one thing , as long as u dont need it now and u will be in NY in April so u should get whatever is available by then & Hope for the Penryn would be out by then , otherwise i really recommend a REFBURSHIED SR one coz this is an Excellent Machine and u will never regret it , its better to get it from the states trust me its gonna be really cheaper than europe , u can use it for a while and even sell it again with good price if u want to get the next update and so .. about the Montevina im sure that apple will have one single update this year for the MBP Either Penryn or Montevina ..
    wish that would Help :)
     
  4. Hellseeker thread starter macrumors member

    Hellseeker

    Joined:
    Dec 18, 2007
    #4
    So you don't think they're gonna do both?
    I mean, it's not like they're upgrading the same thing twice
     
  5. Hellseeker thread starter macrumors member

    Hellseeker

    Joined:
    Dec 18, 2007

Share This Page