Which upgrade from Macbook Air (mid-2011)?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ghostbuster, Jun 19, 2012.

1. ghostbuster macrumors newbie

Hi,

I'm (sort of) happy with my 13" Macbook Air (mid-2011) but sometimes I feel the screen could be a tad bigger and the machine itself could run a bit cooler.

Normal things like syncing my iPhone/iPad or charging the Macbook with a Flash Video stream on, the thing gets really hot and the fan starts to blast like crazy.

Which of the new Macbooks that were just announced would be the one to go for if I want a cooler running machine and a bit more desktop space?

Does the 2012 MBA run cooler than the 2011 MBA?

Basically:

I want a cooler running laptop.
    I don't want it to be "much" heavier or larger than the 13" MBA.
    Bigger screen would be nice but not a must.

I guess I have to wait for a 15" MBA?

Thanks!

2. maxwelltech macrumors 6502

maxwelltech

I think the new MacBook Pro would be the best choice. It has a bigger screen with a retina display, quieter asymmetrical fans, and much thinner and lighter than the previous MacBook Pro. The problem is that it is much more expensive than a MacBook Air.
    The new MacBook Air does have asymmetrical fans, but there is a video on YouTube showing the MacBook Air became extremely hot and loud after playing a game.

3. ghostbuster thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for your reply maxwelltech. I might visit the Apple Store here in Barcelona and have a look at the machines. It's hard to decide on the heat issue in the store, but the size and weight should be easy to evaluate.