Which Upgrade SSD/HDD and how Big

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bcburrows, Apr 11, 2009.

1. bcburrows macrumors 6502

bcburrows

My 320Gb hard drive I think needs rehousing into my PS3, which leaves an important hole to fill in my MBP!

I was wondering if people can give their experiences of

1) SSD / HDD - massive performance difference??? Have also heard SSD have lots of read errors???

2) Size - bigger the better - how big have people gone, and have they had any issues???? Running very hot / noticably reduced battery life etc etc

Thanks

2. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

3. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

if you are moving the 320gb to the ps3 ..
    and you wanna stay with normal hdds and not move to SSD then
    get the 500gb seagate 7200rpm

I think I am going to order one .. my laptop should be here on Monday
    and I only want to open up my laptop once so I am going to get the 500gb plus 8gb of ram

4. bcburrows thread starter macrumors 6502

bcburrows

That is some upgrade

They are pricey upgrades!!!

Seagate constellation 500Gb 32Mb Cache is £160 - Dabs

How much is that Ram going to cost you?

What you doing with that spec, am not sure I would appreciate the performance difference over the massive hole in my wallet :D

5. scuzy macrumors member

i went with a 120GB OCZ Vertex and moved my 320 to a usb housing.

6. magamo macrumors 6502

I installed the 160GB version of Intel's X25-M in my UMBP. The performance gain was huge and incredible. I've been using this machine for a few weeks and have had no read errors or anything like that. Certainly no one can say anything for sure about reliability of SSD for obvious reasons, but Intel's SSD comes with 3 years warranty so I don't think my laptop is going to explode anytime soon.

As for heat and battery life, there doesn't seem to be any difference in real life. Intel claims their SSD would increase battery life, but it's not noticeable, at least to me.

The speed increase was more than I expected. There have been no issues. If you can afford and if 160GB is enough for you, I definitely recommend it.

7. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

i would really like a SSD but ill wait till the sizes get bigger and the prices go down

8. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

yea for now i got the Western Digital Scorpio Black 7200 320 GB. it's an incredible drive. i wanted to seagate 7200rpm 500gb but it was out of stock EVERYWHERE! you can get the western digital for like $80 and it's what im going to use until the SSD's get better and less expensive.

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Don't buy the Seagate Constellation; that's a SAS drive. ;)