Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oxfordguy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 27, 2008
Oxford, England
Hi - I need a USB 3.0 hub for my 2012 MBA, and am unsure which one to get, as it sounds like some are partially incompatible with Macs! I'm running OS X 10.8.1 Mountain Lion, if it makes any difference. A 4-port hub would probably be fine, so I've been considering:

TRENDnet TU3 H4

or
D-Link USB 3.0 4 Port Hub

There's also these ones:

Uspeed USB 3.0 4 Port Hub

and

StarTech.com 4 Port Black SuperSpeed USB 3.0 Hub

Which would be best? I'm currently thinking the D-Link might be the one to go for, but would value input from anyone who's had experience of any of these! Thanks

JesterJJZ

macrumors 68020
Jul 21, 2004
It seems alot of USB 3.0 hubs are quite flakey, I wonder why?

No idea. I have the Caldigit combo card. Worked fine with one drive plugged into the hub, but another drive or anything else and it would crap out.

ruralvoice

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2008
Hi - I need a USB 3.0 hub for my 2012 MBA, and am unsure which one to get, as it sounds like some are partially incompatible with Macs! I'm running OS X 10.8.1 Mountain Lion, if it makes any difference. A 4-port hub would probably be fine, so I've been considering:

TRENDnet TU3 H4

or
D-Link USB 3.0 4 Port Hub

There's also these ones:

Uspeed USB 3.0 4 Port Hub

and

StarTech.com 4 Port Black SuperSpeed USB 3.0 Hub

Which would be best? I'm currently thinking the D-Link might be the one to go for, but would value input from anyone who's had experience of any of these! Thanks

I just returned a D-Link as it did not work properly with my new MacBook Pro Retina w/USB-3.0. The computer was recognizing it as a USB-2.0 hub.

ruralvoice

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2008
I just returned a D-Link as it did not work properly with my new MacBook Pro Retina w/USB-3.0. The computer was recognizing it as a USB-2.0 hub.

I also have a MBP-R and also had a USB-3 Hub from D-Link which I returned. However, I just found out that it was the way I connected it that was wrong (I have a new USB 3 Hub, but I know it was the way I connected because this one did the same thing UNTIL I READ THE APPLE FAQ: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5172#7

I found out that the FIRST device one plugs in to an external USB port CONFIGURES the external USB bus. Be sure that after powering up the computer, you plug in the USB 3 Hub to an external port FIRST. After that, you can plug things in and they will be recognized correctly. I verified this for my installation using the System Information page and looking at the USB window.

So plug in the USB 3 hub first. Then you can plug things into the hub (USB-3 or USB-2) and they should go to the correct bus when you look at the USB config.

Hope this is of some assistance.

Barry

cool11

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2006
Does this means that if I connect a usb 3 hub first at a usb2 port, will be badly configured? Is this really what happens? It seems absurd.

I will buy a new usb3 hub now, and because I am looking to future connectivity options, I 'll take a usb 3 hub. Why stick to the old usb2 format?
But, I don't have a machine with usb3 port right now.
So, is it forbidden to me, to connect it to my current mbp with usb2 ports, until I will get a new one with usb3 ports someday in the future?

g4cube

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2003
Locked forever?

No, of course not. The performance is liited by the upstream connection to your computer. Connect to a USB2 computer, you get USB2 performance. Connect to a USB3 computer, you get USB3 performance.:D

thescrod

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2011
And the winner is...

About to order the newest iMac and want to wire a USB 3.0 hub into the cabinet to reduce clutter. I will repeat the primary question here, what USB 3.0 hub ( 3 ports minimum) will work properly and consistently at speeds greater than 2.0?

Would a 10 or 15 cable greatly diminish performance?

Kirkle

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2012
For some time now I've been looking for a USB hub with 3.0 connectivity to accompany the iMac (since it now features USB 3.0). So far I haven't really found anything that "fits" quite right.

In part, I suppose it's an issue of appearance: there are very few hubs that actually match the look of an iMac. And those that do often have other issues, for example, the Satechi hub, which looks the part, but obviously isn't USB 3, has a short little cord soldered in, and is bus-powered (which is nice, but external power is really needed is you plan to use your hub for anything more than plugging in thumb-drives).

So has anyone had any luck finding an USB hub for the new iMac that meets the following requirements:

• USB 3.0
  • has at least 4 accessible ports
  • uses external power
  • isn't hideous (doesn't have to match the iMac, but no super-bright blue LEDs)
  • has decent performance reviews (some hubs I've seen look fine, but are reported to present a lot of problems in use)
Any leads?

Reactions: rocketbuc

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
White TrendNet USB 3 4 port hub that is externally powered. The wife has one connected to her rMBP. She uses it with an external USB drive, wacom, and wired keyboard.

We got it at MicroCenter after I researched USB 3 hubs for Macs. It was likely $29 or there abouts.

Reactions: JAbu

moetown

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2012

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
We could have paid more. I did not remember it being that expensive.

Last edited:

philipfreire

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2012
Toronto, ON
I recently purchased a Belkin Superspeed USB 3.0 4-Port Hub and it's not USB 3.0 compatible with the brand new 27" iMac

372.jpg

Great looking unit, probably best looking unit out there but its only recognized as a USB 2.0 right now. I'm going to keep it because I got it on boxing day for less than half its price so its not worth my hassel of returning. I mounted it under my desk flush with the front of the desk, so sleek and clutter free. Love it.
Ill just wait for USB 3.0 to be compatible with the iMacs.

Product page: http://www.belkin.com/us/F4U058-Belkin/p/P-F4U058

micksf

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2012
San Fran, CA
I've been running the C2G USB3 hub on a 2012 mini, and it was throwing out a lot of interference for bluetooth devices. and now it will not power on. returning it today. was hopeful, they typically make good products.

so now too am on the hunt for a reliable unit.

philipfreire

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2012
Toronto, ON
I recently purchased a Belkin Superspeed USB 3.0 4-Port Hub and it's not USB 3.0 compatible with the brand new 27" iMac

Great looking unit, probably best looking unit out there but its only recognized as a USB 2.0 right now. I'm going to keep it because I got it on boxing day for less than half its price so its not worth my hassel of returning. I mounted it under my desk flush with the front of the desk, so sleek and clutter free. Love it.

Okay, just an update to you guys, its now recognizing it as a Superspeed USB 3.0 Hub and the USB 3 is working properly. No system or driver updates. Weird.

But good news! :D :D :D

Reactions: JAbu

Crunch

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2008
Crazy L.A.
Hey everyone!

After an excruciatingly long search for a USB 3.0 hub working at USB 3 speeds for my USB 3-capable 15" MacBook Pro w/ Retina Display, I finally ordered this one from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009Z9M3DY/ref=ox_ya_os_product

Besides the fact that it has seven USB 3.0 ports, it also has an extra strong (10W output!) "charging port" for anyone with an iPad 3 or 4, which takes a LOT longer to charge on a regular USB port. The power supply also seems to be adequate considering it has to potentially power 7 USB 3.0 devices, plus any device you might have on the charging port. Then there is the 18-month warranty that the newly renamed company (Anker) gives with purchase.

This baby JUST became available again, so it's a brand new revision of the product, which is evidenced by the new company name on the product itself.

It also no longer states that Mac users need not apply, but instead notes that anyone still running OS X 10.7 upgrade to Mountain Lion (10.8.2 or later).

I'll do some benchmarks and write a review when I get it. For now, I shall enjoy the anticipation of its delivery. ;-)

viggen61

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2002
New Jersey

Another vote for the Belkin. I bought it at the same time I upgraded to a retina MBP. No problems at all. Just make sure it is the first thing on the bus. I get equal HDD transfer speeds with it as I do with my TB-eSATA hub.

Vuddha

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2012
;) I have been looking for a 7 Port USB Hub for my new IMAC 27" /3.4 i7/ 680 MX/ 32G/ 768 SSD/ I found TWO 7 Port that seams to have been upgraded. They both use the new VIA VL812 Chipset and say that they are compatible with Mac. Check these out and let me know what you think:

Anker® Uspeed USB 3.0 7 Port Hub + 1 Charging Port
http://www.ianker.com/product/68UPHUB-B8U

AMAZON

http://www.amazon.com/Charging-Adap...UTF8&colid=2PGVKBAVITS1H&coliid=ICHMS9CNTZ9X2

4 1/2 Stars with 123 customer reviews

Anker® Uspeed USB 3.0 model [Anker® Uspeed USB 3.0 7 Port Hub + 1 Charging Port]
has the new VIA VL812 Chipset and is the only one, including the 4 port models, that tells about the update.

System Requirements
Windows XP / Vista / 7 / 8, Mac OS X
* Mac OS X Lion 10.7.4 users may experience unstable connections due to microchip incompatibility. Where possible, we recommend upgrading your OS X to Mountain Lion 10.8.2 or later.
If you encounter other performance concerns, please contact our customer support with your operating system information. We can then provide guidance on how to upgrade your hub's microchip firmware.

Note
1. The charging port (5V 2A) is designed for charging your mobile devices only and will not support data transfers.
2. 2.4 GHz wireless devices, such as wireless keyboards and mouse adapters, may not work in close proximity to USB 3.0 devices or hubs. Connecting to a USB 2.0 port is recommended.
3. For maximum performance, connected devices should not exceed a combined current of 7A. Otherwise, output current may become unstable or disconnect entirely.
4. Some USB 3.0 devices require a direct connection to host USB 3.0 ports, including some USB 3.0 hard disks.
5. Please note that Apple now provides an official update for MacBook Air and MacBook Pro computers purchased in June 2012. This update improves USB 3.0 performance and compatibility and can be downloaded from the official Apple website as "MacBook Air and MacBook Pro Update 2.0." Please contact our support team if you cannot locate this update.

and

Plugable USB3-HUB7-81X Seven-Port USB 3.0 Hub with Four-Amp Power Adapter (VIA chipset)
http://plugable.com/products/usb3-hub7-81x

AMAZON

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=B008ZGKWQI&linkCode=as2&tag=plugabltechno-20

5 Stars with 27 customer reviews

Features
Compatible with USB 3.0, 2.0, and 1.1 hosts and devices
Features the latest VIA VL812(1) USB 3.0 hub chipset for maximum compatibility and performance
Premium four-amp power adapter allows USB 3.0 devices to draw current at the USB 3.0 maximum of 900 milliamps
Supports USB 3.0 SuperSpeed transfer rates (5Gbps), USB 2.0 Hi-Speed rates (480Mbps), and USB 1.1 Full/Low Speed rates (12/1.5 Mbps)
No driver installation required: Works with Windows, Mac, Linux, and other hosts
LED status indicators for each port in use

Also had link to OS X Mid-2012 MacBook USB and Graphics update

OS X Mid-2012 MacBook USB and Graphics update
Posted on 13. Nov, 2012 by Jeff Everett in USB3-SATA-U3
Good news Mac owners! Apple has released a graphics and USB focused update just for late model, Mid 2012 MacBook models including “all Mac notebooks released in June 2012.” This update “includes graphics performance and reliability enhancements and improves compatibility with some USB devices.”
As with any OS X update, simply choose updates in the App Store or choose Software Update from the Apple menu. Once all prerequisites are installed (which include 10.8.2), the update will appear.
Details on the update are rather sparse at the moment, however initial findings on the 11 inch Air I use as a primary work laptop are positive. After installing the update, some U3 Communicator HD docks which I had previously identified as defective actually worked consistently and at normal speeds.
I’ve also noticed better reliability on the arrangement of the quad display panel I use with the tiny Air and a set of our DisplayLink-based UGA-165 adapters. Previously I could virtually never reboot and have my display arrangement persist, but now that seems to have been corrected- however this probably has more to do with the unusual number of hubs and devices I go through in day to day equipment testing and the constant swapping of ports that comes with it.
One frustrating issue that persists is when an USB storage volume unexpectedly disconnects, finder will freeze- immediately if you instruct it to eject the improperly disconnected volume. Forcing a reboot corrects the issue, however the system is largely unresponsive until the reboot which of course could result in data loss.
We’d love to hear your input on how this update is affecting your Plugable devices on those shiny new MacBooks!
MacRumors of course has a thread on the topic with very active discussion: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1486234/

If anyone has either of these and has tested it let me know.

I may be careful about purchasing one of the other products unless they have been upgraded and say what is is compatible with.

sjhwilkes

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2011
I have the second one, just got it a week ago. It's working great for me - have 2 USB 3 drives, plus a keyboard, webcam, scanner, speakers and a printer all hooks up to it.

Reactions: Ivy1234
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.