Which USB 3.0 Hub would you recommend for connecting external hard drives?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by amoergosum, May 8, 2019.

1. amoergosum macrumors 6502

Which USB 3.0 Hub would you recommend?

I'd like to be able to connect at least two external hard drives at the same time (for Lightroom, Photoshop and Final Cut Pro work).

This one looks very nice but it says "For a stable connection, don't use this hub with high power-consumption devices, such as external hard drives" in the description.

[​IMG]

2. G4DPII macrumors regular

G4DPII

3. chabig macrumors 603

Hubs are commodities. If you like that one, get it. But power your hard drives with their own adapters, rather than relying on USB power.

4. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

I would recommend that you DO NOT buy a hub UNLESS it also "supplies its own power". It will have a power brick for that.

A hub without its own power will rely upon the Mac's bus power, which is easily overloaded.

5. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

Agree, and try to get one that is 3.1 rated and not just 3.0.

6. mikey8811 macrumors member

If your external drives themselves are powered, isn't it true that the USB hub power is redundant?

All my drives are powered and I have found connecting the power on the USB hub makes no difference.

7. harpster macrumors regular

Correct, if the device you are connecting to HUB is powered then you are only using the HUB for data and the HUB should be able to get enough power (5V) from the Host computer to run it's internal circuitry. But I still would not buy a HUB with too small or no power adapter. Gut a hub with 6 ports min and a 5-6A power brick. That way when you do plug in other devices that need power from the HUB the power is available. It also doesn't hurt to have 1 or 2 of the ports be fast charging (USB spec BC1.2).

8. amoergosum thread starter macrumors 6502

9. harpster macrumors regular

10. mikey8811 macrumors member

It's strange that most of the USB 3.1 hubs on Amazon are their own.

Does Anker or Belkin not make USB 3.1 ones?

Nothing against Amazon but I have had some Amazon Basics stuff like HDMI cables which have been wonky after a short time.