Which USB hub to get?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by chacham, Jun 19, 2015.

1. chacham, Jun 19, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2015

chacham macrumors newbie

chacham

I've got a 2011 mac mini (Mavericks) with all its usb ports used (keyboard, mouse, camera, cord to front.) The cord to front (of my monitor, as it so happens) switches between whatever i happen to need it for, but that's getting to be a headache. I use it alternatively for a Leap Motion, Kindle, thumbdrive, Galaxy Light, and Galaxy S5. Truthfully, it works fine, but i want to keep the LM plugged in more often and be able to plugin more than one device at the same time.

So, a hub seems to be in order. But there's so many options, 2.0 or 3.0, bus or wall powered, with fast charge port or not, indicator lights, and brand. This is really just for the mac mini, so portability means little to me. I don't mind planning for the future, but if its more than a few dollars more, it'll be a harder sell.

I've looked around a little and the reportedly best are all 3.0. But is there a benefit in getting 3.0 on a device that doesn't support it? Further, some people complain of incompatibility with the mac at times.

What usb hub is best for my mac mini?

As a side question, if allowed, can i just leave my phones connected? Or is it better to remove them as soon as they are charged?

2. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

You can just leave your phones plugged in. They are programmed to stop charging as soon as they reach 100%. I regularly leave my iPhone charging overnight.