Which USB port to plug in keyboard on macbook pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Sossity, Sep 18, 2010.

1. Sossity macrumors 6502a

Does it matter what type of usb port to plug the mac aluminum keyboard into? directly into the macbook pros usb port? or can I plug it into a hub?

If I plug the mouse into the keyboard, does it matter which side? I will be using windows on my mac, & I read online that the left side worked better than the right for using windows.

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

3. ljx718 macrumors 6502

i would plug it into the laptop. i think the usb receiver would get in the way.

4. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

I've been pugging my keyboard into a hub for more than a year now and I've never had a problem. It was a powered hub, though, but I don't think that would make a difference in this case. It's not like the keyboard will draw a lot of power.

5. Sossity thread starter macrumors 6502a

if I want to move to another room with my macbook pro, can I just unplug the keyboard & the mouse plugged into the keyboard? does it need to be ejected? is there any steps I need to take to do this?

6. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Yeah, just unplug and go.

Drives do need to be ejected though.

7. DanMacApple macrumors 6502

I dont think it will matter were you plug the keyboard in as they do not use up much power.

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

You could consider the wireless Bluetooth keyboard and then you wouldn't have to worry :D

9. iPhone1 macrumors 65816

iPhone1

Yeah, plugging in a wired keyboard to a MBP is like putting a bra on a Camaro.
    Just ain't right.

10. hasole macrumors member

On my i5 mbp, for hdd. the rear usb port is way faster than the front one, so I plug all the aux crap into the front port and leave the rear free incase I need a usb drive to plug in.