Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mckyvlle

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 21, 2007
London, UK
I am looking for a USB TV-stick for my MacBook. I will be using it to watch Freeview (Digital TV in the UK).

The things I'm looking for is that the stick works well with Macs, the software is easy to use, and some recording/scheduling function.

The choices I found so far are:
Elgato EyeTV for DTT
Equinux TubeStick
Miglia TVMini2

The current champ seems to be the Elgato, but pricey at nearly £50. Any ideas about the other two?

I am also open to suggestions to other USB TV-sticks that work well with Macs.

Cheers!

PsyD4Me

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2009
under your bed
I am looking for a USB TV-stick for my MacBook. I will be using it to watch Freeview (Digital TV in the UK).

The things I'm looking for is that the stick works well with Macs, the software is easy to use, and some recording/scheduling function.

The choices I found so far are:
Elgato EyeTV for DTT
Equinux TubeStick
Miglia TVMini2

The current champ seems to be the Elgato, but pricey at nearly £50. Any ideas about the other two?

I am also open to suggestions to other USB TV-sticks that work well with Macs.

Cheers!

i have the Elgato TV (EyeTV Hybrid), it does the job, very stable, however i wish that the reception was much better. It's pretty grainy, but then again, i just use it to catch up on sports while i'm doing research.

AppleMatt

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2003
UK
I have the Miglia TV mini (not the new one). It's pretty good, some thoughts however:

- Since I've had it, which isn't too long, they've released two paid upgrades to the software. I bought the first one but not the second - it's like an annual tax otherwise.
- It works flawlessly when connected to an external roof-mounted aerial. When connected to the little one that comes with it, you might as well not bother.
- It gets quite hot whilst it's on.
- It's heavy relative to its size, so when plugged into the back of my iMac it always wants to 'pull out'. If you knock the aerial lead, it's almost certainly coming out.
- Being able to save TV as a lossless stream is very, very cool.
- Miglia uses the EyeTV software.
- I seem to remember you can set the buffer on the EyeTV software so that if you accidentally miss recording your show, it can 'go back in time' by a few minutes so that you can record it all. Nifty if you see something and then decide to record it.

AppleMatt

mckyvlle

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 21, 2007
London, UK
I guess it's you-get-what-you-pay-for...

Anyone care to share how does the Elgato TV-stick (EyeTV for DTT) and EyeTV software work? Does it live up to hype/praise in the reviews? Any particular catches I should be aware of?

Cheers!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.