Which USED G4 Powerbook to buy?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by chanwaiming3, May 15, 2006.

  1. chanwaiming3 macrumors newbie

    May 15, 2006
    I love the new intel 17" but I'm patient to wait for second generation. In the meantime, I need a powerbook asap. I am looking to purchase 15 or 17" used/new G4. I plan to splurge and spend $3000 within next 12 months on new second generation intel 17" macbook... but i need a short term solution

    This is what i use my computer for:
    - run 5 - 10 applications simultaneously
    - use Photoshop occasionally and also Dreamweaver
    - screen real estate is important. Size/bulk is not but i want a laptop
    - power and speed are important

    what is the best value for me now? Given these circumstances what should i get?

    New G4 17" or used... 1.67, 1.5, 1.33, 1.0...???

  2. munckee macrumors 65816

    Oct 27, 2005
    Um. It sounds like you're looking for a 17" based on your need for screen acreage. Your best bet is to decide on your budget, research what 17" PB's are going for on craigslist, ebay, etc, and then see what the best deal you can find for your budget is.

    I recently bought a used 15" 1.5ghz with 512mb of ram and a couple months of remaining warranty for $1200 and was pretty happy with that price. Obviously, a 1.67 with the high res screen would have been really nice, but I couldn't justify the extra $400 that it was getting on the market. My plan is exactly the same as yours. I'm shooting for a new MBP once CS3 comes out and is clearly running with reasonable stability.
  3. chanwaiming3 thread starter macrumors newbie

    May 15, 2006
    1.5/1.67 compared to pentiums

    do you think i need 1.67 or 1.5 shoudl be enough? What is the difference? Is it noticiable?

    THis is also my first Mac in 15 years... last one i had was Powerbook 170! Eons ago... how is the 1.5 comparable to the Pentiums?
  4. munckee macrumors 65816

    Oct 27, 2005
    I'm using a 1.5 for heavy duty CS work and haven't had any problems. Yes a 1.67 is better, but the question is better enough to warrant the extra cost? For me, the answer was no.
  5. tristan macrumors 6502a

    Jul 19, 2003
    high-rise in beautiful bethesda
    If you need it ASAP you're probably going to have to take the first late model 17" G4 you find that is:
    - reasonably priced
    - in good condition
    - has 1 gig of RAM
    - ideally has some Applecare left on it

Share This Page