Which used iPhone 5ish to purchase now?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jjfad, Jun 22, 2014.

1. jjfad macrumors member

I'm now on a used iPhone 4S running iOS 7, but the subpar battery is really starting to get to me. I really like the form factor and the 4" of the iPhone 5 series is probably the largest I'm willing to go. (I've thought about the Moto X, though.)

Of these three, what would you suggest?

iPhone 5, iOS 6
    iPhone 5, iOS 7
    iPhone 5c, iOS 7

I prefer the iPhone 5 form factor (lighter than the 5c) but I'm trying to figure out which of the three has better battery life. Unfortunately the reviews are all over the map. At this point from what I can read, it looks like iOS 7 was not great for battery life. So as long as I am willing to put up with iOS 6, should I just get an iPhone 5 running iOS 6?

Thanks for your input.

2. Retired Cat macrumors 65816

I would not go with iOS 6, as there's at least one serious security bug (GOTOFail) that's not patched on the iPhone 5 series.

Battery life is generally about the same on my iPhone 5 for iOS 7 as it was on iOS 6.

Either the 5 or the 5C would probably work well. Keep in mind that iPhone 5 units may be older and have more degraded batteries than 5C. You could also consider getting a new battery for your 4S.

3. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

4. Menel, Jun 22, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2014

Menel macrumors 603

Menel

5, iOS7.

iOS6 is deprecated, and has unpatched vulnerabilities.
    The 5 (not C) is lighter, thinner, higher quality.

However, the C did get a slightly larger battery.

5. BeeJee macrumors 6502

I'd get the regular 5. But it also depends on how much storage you want, if you want 64GB you need a 5

6. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Most any 5 you buy will be used and as a result have a used battery. The batteries begin to degrade over time so getting a newer 5C (under a year old) is the better option. The 5C has the bigger battery and iOS 7.1 runs like a dream on both the 5 and 5C.

7. g35 macrumors 6502a

The 5 on iOS 6 will have better battery life. Same phone, same usage on iOS 6 I got almost 3 hours more usage time than on iOS 7 from a full charge. You may not have such a dramatic difference but iOS 7 has definitely been taking more battery. This is comparing iOS 6.1.3 to 7.1.1.

My iPhone 5 on iOS 7 returned the same battery life as my iPhone 4S on iOS 6.