Which Used MBP to upgrade to?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Colombo, Dec 11, 2010.

1. Colombo macrumors newbie

It's Time to put my old ibook G4 out to pasture, I'm Thinking if finances allow I want to upgrade to an MBP after the hollidaze. Thinking a lot of people will get new computers for Christmas and ebay/Craigs list will be flooded.
    So my question is what will be my "Best Value". (Obviously I'm not afraid of older machines).. and Which Machines should I avoid?.

Thanks for you insight, Tim

2. simsaladimbamba

It depends on what you want to use the Mac for, maybe even a white pre-Unibody MacBook will more than satisfy your needs.
    And the budget has to be taken into consideration too, thus we need to know your needs and budget.

Anyway, avoid the Aluminium MBPs with the Nvidia 8600 GPU, though Apple replaces the logic board for free, if you have a defect, even without Apple Care.

3. Colombo thread starter macrumors newbie

oops, I'm thinking 15"...
    I do my own repairs/Service and think the Unibody would make service Much easier. I will probably keep this machine another 5 years or more so I don't want anything that's going to be completely outdated in a year either...

4. simsaladimbamba

Budget? Needs?

The lowest 15" MBP, released in 10/2008, can be had for around 500 £.
    http://www.mac2sell.net/permalink/?id=155783a745e0faa4a65e9fcedef7a44e

5. Colombo thread starter macrumors newbie

For Budget I'm Hoping to stay under $700, But I'm not sure how realistic that is....Damn Macs Hold their Value too well!
    90% used for basic Business Apps, Web Surfing, Netflix, and a very little bit of media editing...

6. simsaladimbamba

Then any Intel Mac will do fine. If you are set on the size (15") and Unibody, you need to find a good deal then.

7. Colombo thread starter macrumors newbie

Any that had more "Issues" than others that I want to avoid like the plague?

8. Colombo thread starter macrumors newbie

oops, sorry I should have read the above first...TY