Which used/refurbished iMac is right for me?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by jpfulton248, Dec 31, 2013.

1. jpfulton248 macrumors newbie

I'm finally looking to buy a used or refurbished or refurbished and used iMac. I will probably end up running a Windows 7 or 8 virtual machine via VMWare on it. Other than that no processor/RAM intensive activity. I plan to upgrade the RAM to 16GB but I'm unsure of my needs regarding the CPU. Is it worth the money for me to buy an iMac with the i3/i5/i7 processor, or for my needs will the Core 2 Duo series be good enough? Will I notice a difference considering what I'll be using? The MB952LL/A is what I'll probably go for if I decide that the Core2 will work for my needs.

P.S. Considering a 27" screen size

Thanks in advance

2. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

You haven't stated the types of apps you intend to run so any base model will work fine. P.S. You have to get a 27" in order to upgrade the RAM, available 21.5" models cannot have the RAM upgraded without invalidating the warranty.

3. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

If you're looking for something that'll offer great performance and upgradability for years to come, but still not be terribly expensive, look at the 2011 iMacs.

BTW, since you mentioned that you're looking at the 27" machines, any 27" iMac will let you upgrade the RAM. The 2011 models were the last ones that allowed easy RAM upgrades on the 21" models though.