Which used/refurbished iMac is right for me?

jpfulton248

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 31, 2013
I'm finally looking to buy a used or refurbished or refurbished and used iMac. I will probably end up running a Windows 7 or 8 virtual machine via VMWare on it. Other than that no processor/RAM intensive activity. I plan to upgrade the RAM to 16GB but I'm unsure of my needs regarding the CPU. Is it worth the money for me to buy an iMac with the i3/i5/i7 processor, or for my needs will the Core 2 Duo series be good enough? Will I notice a difference considering what I'll be using? The MB952LL/A is what I'll probably go for if I decide that the Core2 will work for my needs.

P.S. Considering a 27" screen size

Thanks in advance

rkaufmann87

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2009
Folsom, CA
I'm finally looking to buy a used or refurbished or refurbished and used iMac. I will probably end up running a Windows 7 or 8 virtual machine via VMWare on it. Other than that no processor/RAM intensive activity. I plan to upgrade the RAM to 16GB but I'm unsure of my needs regarding the CPU. Is it worth the money for me to buy an iMac with the i3/i5/i7 processor, or for my needs will the Core 2 Duo series be good enough? Will I notice a difference considering what I'll be using? The MB952LL/A is what I'll probably go for if I decide that the Core2 will work for my needs.

P.S. Considering a 27" screen size

Thanks in advance

You haven't stated the types of apps you intend to run so any base model will work fine. P.S. You have to get a 27" in order to upgrade the RAM, available 21.5" models cannot have the RAM upgraded without invalidating the warranty.

MultiFinder17

macrumors 68020
Jan 8, 2008
Tampa, Florida
If you're looking for something that'll offer great performance and upgradability for years to come, but still not be terribly expensive, look at the 2011 iMacs.

BTW, since you mentioned that you're looking at the 27" machines, any 27" iMac will let you upgrade the RAM. The 2011 models were the last ones that allowed easy RAM upgrades on the 21" models though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.