Which Uses The Most Battery On A 13 in MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Bulldog3777, Aug 28, 2009.

1. Bulldog3777 macrumors 6502

Which consumes the most battery, a dvd movie played on the 13 in or a movie downloaded on Itunes? I am going on a 9 hr flight and I want to conserve as much as possible.

2. RevoDS macrumors newbie

Definitely the DVD will consume more, because a DVD will require your DVD drive to spin along with the HDD, where a movie on iTunes will only keep the HDD spinning while the DVD drive is idle (that is, assuming your movie is pre-downloaded and not streaming)

3. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

I haven't done the experiment, but the downloaded movie watched in iTunes will consume far less battery power. Of course you could do the experiment yourself.

the dvd and the itunes movie both use programs to run and that cancels out. They both use memory so that cancels out

The dvd needs the superdive to spin up and down as the dvd movie is cached and buffered into memory. That will cause the dvd movie to need more battery.

4. AnotherFanBoy macrumors regular

I agree the DVD will use more power. However, also bear in mind that watching any movie will considerably decrease your battery life.

5. Bulldog3777 thread starter macrumors 6502

Battery and DVD

I figured as much but just wasn't sure. I have the 100 watt Hypermac battery to use with the 13 in MBP so I should be OK. Thanks.

6. Fuchal macrumors 68020

Reducing the screen brightness will help a lot as well.

7. Frosties macrumors 6502a

Frosties

Just rip the dvd to the drive and you are set. Skip itunes.