Which utility programs do you use for osx?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by BeyondMountains, Jan 18, 2010.

1. BeyondMountains macrumors 6502

Running snow leopard.

I know there are automatic scrips that run at times such as 5am but if you dont keep your computer on all night everyday there are programs that can run those scrips manually.

I've heard of programs such as onyx and cocktail.

What do you use? Whats the best overall program?

2. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

I use onyx. I used it with leopard and with SL and I've had good results with both. I think its worth a try.

3. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Why not just keep your computer on at 5 am? I keep my MBP on 24/7, only shutting it off for updates or when I'm on vacation (I usually take it with me). In sleep mode, my MBP uses very little power and offers convenience because I can access it in a few seconds versus a cold boot.

4. BeyondMountains thread starter macrumors 6502

The scripts don't run in sleep mode. Its wasteful to leave a computer running all night when its not being used. I'm trying to be less wasteful with everything I do. I d/l onyx. Works nicely. Ran all those scripts. Looks like the daily and weekly ran around 330am and the monthly around 530am. My MP boots in 30-40seconds, which is fine by me.

5. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

The problem of the scripts not running if the machine was asleep was fixed back in Tiger when launchd ate init and cron. It was REALLY fixed in Leopard when Apple got it to work properly. They just run on the fly when you wake it up in the morning. And they don't do that much anyway, they just clean up a few logs and the like.

6. Topper macrumors 65816

Topper

IMO, both equally good. Onyx is free.