Which Vector Design Program?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by nickph17, Apr 9, 2008.

1. nickph17 macrumors newbie

nickph17

Hi guys,

Ive been reading these forums for quite some time.

I am well aware that Illustrator is the best Vector program out there but, its 500$ and i only need to design a logo, a business card, and letterhead for my new business. so the expence is not really waranted.

That being said, there are many other programs that seem as though they would work.

I've found:

Vectordesigner
    Lineform
    Intaglio
    Gimp
    and Inkscape

I know gimp and Inkscape are free but everytime i use them they crash. So really my choice is between the first three. Ive used the demos but i wanted to see if anyone could give me an idea of the limitations of each and any quirks they may have. I may have to suck it up and buy illustrator. Its still cheaper than having it done profesionally.

Thanks,

Nick

2. Island Dog macrumors 6502a

Island Dog

I just started using VectorDesigner recently, so I don't have a lot of experience with it yet. However, they seem to update it regularly and I haven't found any limitations as of yet.

3. jhande macrumors 6502

I've got both VectorDesigner and Lineform. I really like the latter, however I am not a graphics expert.

4. iFry macrumors member

Inkscape is awesome IMO... however, I have quite a few crashes once I have a lot going on at once. Saving seems to help, as well as hiding layers etc. The latest version seems to handle this better and I love that they finally made a majority of the app stay in one window aside from some of the tool dialogs. I have VectorDesigner from MacHeist... it's a very promising app and it's good for very simple things, but I just don't like the vector tools as much as Inkscape's, as they are more limited in customization of the curves. I haven't used Lineform yet so I don't have much I can say on that. Hope this helps

5. digitalnicotine macrumors 65816

digitalnicotine

Have you considered downloading Illustrator trial? It's 30 days, and that may be enough time to create the things you mentioned. Just thought I'd throw that option out there. Good luck to you. :)

6. nickph17 thread starter macrumors newbie

nickph17

Thanks for the advice, I didn't know a new inkscape came out, i downloaded it and it seems to be working great. i have gotten in the habit of hitting the save button a lot though