Which version of Eclipse for Dynamic Web Development?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by emiljan, Apr 22, 2010.

1. emiljan macrumors 6502

emiljan

Hey Guys,

I'm learning dynamic web development using Javascript and PHP, and i want to know which version of Eclipse i should use.

I've been looking into using Eclipse for all of my web development needs but with its many versions and extensive use of plugins i don't know where to begin.

I need some help getting started because until now i was using Dreamweaver and i hate it.

I need to know which version of eclipse supports javascript and php development and comes with all of the things you need not only to write code but also debug my code.

2. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Did you even look on the Eclipse website? They have a download titled "Eclipse for PHP Developers". Download and install it. You want the 64 bit Cocoa version.

3. emiljan thread starter macrumors 6502

emiljan

Does the PHP one come with the necessary tools to write and debug
    javascript also, because on their website i can't seem to find anything that says it can also be used for Javascript development.

4. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Why don't you download it and find out?

5. Ride9650 macrumors 6502

It doesn't matter which one you download, those are just pre-customized versions for the more common uses of eclipse.

I would just download the smallest version thats there.

Once thats done, start up eclipse, then under help, there should be a "software updates" selection.

once there follow the directions here
    http://www.eclipse.org/projects/project_summary.php?projectid=webtools

to download and install the web tools.

Any additional tools/plugins needed are installed the same way via the "software updates" window

I don't know if things have changed, but I once had the same notion as you have, wanting to do all my web development with one program.

However, at the time, the code-hinting for PHP was a bit buggy and still needed me running something like MAMP to debug, and javascript files were read as plain text with no syntax colors, or anything fancy like the dedicated editors have.

With any luck thats all changed, but I would really move on to using something like TextMate or Coda. They aren't free but given that they can edit just about any web related file, I think either one would be well worth the money.

6. Cabbit macrumors 68020

Cabbit

Netbeans for PHP is a pretty good alternative worth considering, it runs a bit nicer on Mac OS than eclipse and has much better debugging and other little features that help with the coding such as remembering class names and functions throughout the project.

As for Eclipse just download it, you can add functions to it like php as you please.