Which Version of Leopard?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by TomT321, Sep 16, 2009.

1. TomT321 macrumors member

I bought a used Imac with Tiger 10.4.11 installed and I want to upgrade to Leopard. My computer is a first generation G5 with the 1.8 Gh single processor
    and has 768 MB of ram and a 160 GB HD. I have noticed that there seem to be various versions of Leopard, some of which require an intel processor. How do I tell which version of Leopard I need?

Thanks
    TomT321:confused:

2. RKO macrumors 6502

RKO

You want Leopard ver10.5 for your G5. Snow leopard ver10.6 is for intel only:)

3. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Leopard will be fine on a G5, it's Snow Leopard - the version of OS X after Leopard - that is Intel only. So as long as you get a copy that says OS X Leopard (or OS X 10.5), you'll be fine. If it's 10.6 (Snow Leopard) it won't work. I hope that helps :)

4. TomT321 thread starter macrumors member

5. 2skiski macrumors newbie

Upgrade to 10.5

I have a G5 iMac running Tiger 10.4.11 and I want to upgrade to Leopard.

I've been told various things from my local Apple store about what software I need to buy.

1. If I want to upgrade to Leopard thy also told me that I have to buy the box set and not just an install DVD or restore disc, is this correct?

2. Is there a cheaper way to upgrade from Tiger to Leopard please?

6. TomT321 thread starter macrumors member

Not 100% sure

I was given the same basic advice, and told to buy what is referred to as the Leopard 10.5 "Retail" install. Found one on Ebay for about $80. Seems to be the going price there, over $100 elsewhere although I was told that a College Bookstore might have used ones cheaper, no college close by. I also ordered some additional Ram, not sure I needed more, as I already had 768 MB but went to full gig. Then I found a used external hard drive unit so that when I install Leopard I will be able to use the "time machine" feature and back up everything. I had a bad virus on my old PC that caused me to have to go back to the original settings to wipe it out and lost all my files, pictures, etc. Which is why I wound up buying an Imac and although it isn't the newest, latest, or bestest it is doing a great job and hopefully with the new improvements that I am adding will serve me well for a long time to come.