Which version of new iPad can use t-mobile LTE?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by seasurfer, Mar 7, 2012.

1. seasurfer macrumors 6502a

Which version of the new iPad can use t-mobile LTE? ATT or Verizon?

2. jlmac17 macrumors member

jlmac17

My guess is AT&T. Thinking of jailbreaking it? :)

3. thatsfinebut macrumors member

From my understanding, a jailbreak won't be necessary. I thought I read somewhere that the new iPad isn't carrier locked (except that the AT&T and Verizon can't go back and forth). If it's unlocked, I'm hoping to use an AT&T model with a T-Mobile Monthly4g sim card. For $30, T-Mobile gives you unlimited data, although only the first 5 gigs are at 4g speed. I was checking online and it seems like T-Mobile uses an LTE band that is compatible with the new iPad.

http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/monthly-4g-plans

Does anyone know if this thinking is right or wrong or will we not know until people get their iPads?

4. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

T-Mobile does not currently offer a 4G LTE service. They do offer a 3.5 HSPA+ network (which they call 4G, which is a big lie as HSPA+ is not 4G but really just 3.5G) but they do not have 4G LTE. The only major service providers in the USA that have 4G are AT&T, Verizon, and MetroPCS. T-Mobile's "4G" plans will not be compatible with the iPad.

T-Mobile has announced though that they plan to start rolling out real 4G LTE starting sometime in 2013. There is no word on what frequencies their LTE will operate on, but I would most likely bet on frequencies closer to AT&T's 4G LTE model.

5. seasurfer thread starter macrumors 6502a

MetroPCS has LTE? Which version of the iPad works with it?

6. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

MetroPCS does not currently offer SIM cards or the ability to use tablets.

If you wish to have a 4G LTE iPad, I would recommend going to AT&T's and Verizon's website and seeing who has better 4G coverage in your area, and picking based off that.