Which version of the iPhone X is best for unlocked?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by citivolus, Sep 15, 2017.

1. citivolus macrumors 6502a

Looks like Apple won't be offering the sim-free version for pre-order this year. Which version would be better for those who want an unlocked version to run on AT&T: the T-Mobile version or Verizon? I believe both come unlocked and have different modem chips. Would either one have better resale value in the future?

2. cnotes2019 Suspended

Verizon

3. CodeSpyder macrumors 6502a

CodeSpyder

There are two models of iPhone X, one that supports all networks including CDMA and one that doesn't support CDMA. Get the model that supports CDMA.

4. Shadowbech macrumors 601

5. shaunp0327 macrumors member

If you buy it thru apples upgrade program or the installment plan they come unlocked. It's on the Apple website

6. Shadowbech macrumors 601

True, but if you are on T-mobile and you enroll in iUP, they get you the T-mobile model. Yes it's unlocked, but they won't work on CDMA network like Verizon/Sprint so if you wanted to switch carrier, you wouldn't be able to use that phone on Verizon or Sprint.

7. CodeSpyder macrumors 6502a

CodeSpyder

So, let's suppose that a person is an AT&T customer without a contract. Could they buy the Verizon iPhone X full price from Apple's site on October 27 and use their existing AT&T SIM card?

8. mikepj macrumors regular

No. Buying the Verizon phone will require a Verizon account to complete the purchase.

The iPhone 8 is being sold SIM-free (CDMA and GSM) right now. Previous iPhone models didn't sell SIM-free until a month after the original launch. Where did you hear that SIM-free iPhone X wouldn't be available at launch?

9. Dirtydutch macrumors 6502a

Dirtydutch

Sim free X will not be available at launch for sure it will be carrier only, it's gonna be hard enough to get, if you plan on actually getting one within a reasonable time window I would just order though your actual carrier instead of looking for loopholes to get the world version.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 15, 2017 ---

10. Shadowbech macrumors 601

Not on apple.com as it will still ask you to enter the Carrier account info for Verizon and if you don't have verizon account then you won't be able to order that model. You can do this at the Apple store, get the verizon model, and pay outright, they won't ask you for any account info then.
    Right now, if you are on the iPhone X Page, there is no option for sim-free model yet. Who knows if Apple will add this before pre-order as it comes closer.

11. citivolus thread starter macrumors 6502a

Gotcha. I just tried purchasing the Verizon iPhone 8 model and it did ask me for a Verizon account number. I guess I will pre-order the T-Mobile version as in previous years.

I am assuming Apple won't sell the sim-free version of the iPhone X at launch, again as in years past. Don't have any other info to support this.

12. CodeSpyder macrumors 6502a

CodeSpyder

It's not one of the selection options on the website.
    The T-Mobile version? Does that have the CDMA modems? I thought only Verizon and Sprint had those.
    Agreed.