Which Version of Windows (2009 Quad Core Mac Pro)

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Plutonius, Mar 28, 2009.

1. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

For the 2009 Mac Pro quad core, which version of windows should I get (I know many will say none :) ).

1) XP or Vista (can you even get XP anymore ?).

2) I'm assuming XP professional if I get XP but what version of Vista should I get to get the most out of the quad core ?

2. Ploki macrumors 68020

wait for win7 if you dont REALLY need it.

if you cant, you could write WHY you need it.. it really really depends.

3. Beerfloat macrumors regular

Beerfloat

1) Doesn't matter that much as some people make it out to be. Vista's main benefit is that it can support games that have a DirectX10 graphics option. XP is a bit more pleasant because it asks fewer questions.

2) Actually, XP Home is quite alright unless you care about enterprise network connectivity.

I wouldn't get Vista Home Basic because that doesn't even have the option to use the newer graphical interface, other than that most are fine. But again, for enterprise networks you'd want Business or upwards.

4. sngx1275 macrumors regular

sngx1275

Vista Home Premium would be fine. Its not like you don't have enough power to run Vista well, I've got Vista on a C2D 6400 2.13Ghz with 3 gigs of RAM (but ran fine with 2) and all is well, just as fast as XP on a decent machine. XP's advantage is it runs well on pretty old machines.

But I agree, Windows 7 may be the way to go, you can get ahold of 7057 on torrent sites, and if you want to be perfectly legal they'll have a public Release Candidate out in May that will work until June 2010.

5. robinp macrumors 6502

I've got xp 64bit running very well on my new mac pro in bootcamp and vmware

6. Macpropro80 macrumors 6502

7. CBell macrumors regular

Mind if I ask how? I just got a new Mac Pro, and was trying to install xp 64 on it, and Windows just wouldn't install. The installation screen would never get to the part where it asks where I want to install Windows. I've done some searches on google, but everything I find seems to be 2 or 3 years old.

8. colinthejanitor macrumors member

I'd also like to know how you got XP64 running as i though this was impossible.

@OC - one thing you should bear in mind is that xp (32 bit) will NOT recognize any more than 2GB RAM. I had to up to vista 64 for the OS to recognize the full 8GB i have in my system.

9. kevink2 macrumors 65816

My experience matches only seeing 2GB the rare times I've booted up directly in Windows.

XP Home, which I have, only sees 1 of my 2 CPUs, or the 4 cores in it. With your quad core, it would see them all.

XP pro would be an advantage if running in virtualization like VMWare since you could at least see 2 cores there. I am stuck with 1 core when running it under VMWare. Enough, for the minimal use I make of Windows on my Mac (since I have a Windows laptop).