Which version of Windows 7 should I download?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by I'm a Mac, Jan 22, 2009.

1. I'm a Mac macrumors 6502

I have a Macbook Unibody 2.4 and an iMac Aluminum 2.8 C2E. I just wanted to play around with Windows 7, not cause any serious issues, and just, you know, try it out; not do any serious testing. For my purposes, do you think Im better off downloaded the 64-bit of 32-bit version? And which computer will handle windows 7 better? Thanks for all your help.

Oh, and I'd do my trying out/testing in VMware 2.0, not Bootcamp. Is this a bad idea?

2. chewietobbacca macrumors 6502

VMWare might not allow you to use Aero, which is a big feature of the OS. If you have 4GB, try the 64-bit. But the 32-bit is the more easily compatible one (drivers for Bootcamp will load immediately since they're for x86) and more painless to install

3. I'm a Mac thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't know if VMWare 2 supports aero or not. But for the convience, I think I'll just go with the 32-bit.

4. kaybeee macrumors member

i went 32 bit because i didnt want to have to deal with finding all the drivers.

I can confirm that Aero does not work with vmware, but it works when you boot into Windows 7 via bootcamp

I am using a 2.53 Ghz, 4 gig ram, Unibody MBP

5. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

I would be nervous about installing any beta version of windows in boot camp. Since it will not work under VMWare (and most likely then Parallels) I would make sure you have everything backed up and that you do not have anything outstanding that you would need to computer for while testing, just in case something goes wrong.

From all that talk around here it is easy enough to screw up something with boot camp when using a retail release. I would imagine you could run into a few more issues when running beta versions.

6. chewietobbacca macrumors 6502

Beta is really really stable actually (it's probably the best version of windows already, and its only a beta) sans some issues (like IE and stuff, but that's what a beta is for).

Of course, screwing up in boot camp is always possible, but one of the big draws to Win 7 is the new GUI so I'd prefer seeing Aero than not having it

7. I'm a Mac thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't know. I don't really want to go through all of the trouble of installing boot camp if I'm not really going to use it that much, and yet if Aero won't work on VMware, is Windows 7 worth installing? Or should I wait until Aero is supported on VMware?

8. kaybeee macrumors member

It works fine with VM Ware, everything runs really smoothly

And i have everything backed up Via Time Machine

9. I'm a Mac thread starter macrumors 6502

I tried the 32 bit with VMWare and it didn't work out that great because of the lack of Aero support and 3D hardware compatibility problems. I think I'm going to switch to boot camp, but stick to the 32 bit, unless, all I have to do is insert the Leopard Disk for the 64. Or do I have to do that anyway for the 32-bit?

10. wattage macrumors 6502

wattage

Where do you guys find Win 7 for download? I am looking to put Winderz on my MBP for the first time. Should i just go with XP?

11. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Yeah, just buy XP.

12. Freis968 macrumors 6502a

Freis968

Vista Home Premium is running smooth as silk on my Mac Pro in bootcamp mode. From my searching when I was looking for either XP or Vista new, OEM version, I found Vista to be cheaper than XP.

The only reason I used Vista is for gaming, but I have never had one incident, so my experience with it has been 100% positive.

I did not download the beta of Win7, I am frankly a bit worried in doing so because I don't want any interference with my current setup. Even though everything is fine and dandy with my current setup, usually when I go "playing around" with it I could wind up in trouble. Just buy Vista OEM version.

13. I'm a Mac thread starter macrumors 6502

Okay I'm thinking of trying BootCamp on my iMac and since I already have the 32-bit downloaded on my MacBook, I guess I'll try the 64-bit- but how hard is it to find the drivers? Does the Leopard Disk not work? Or should I just stick with the 32-Bit because it's not worth the hassle for casual use?