Which version of Windows???

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by glasswave, Feb 11, 2014.

1. glasswave macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I've been loving playing around with my new top end late 2013 retina MacBook Pro! But it's becoming time to get more serious.

I need to install Windows using boot camp. Which version of Windows works best on a rMBP? Win 7 ulimate-64 or is is Windows 8 or 8.1 better. How does each work with the retina display? Do you have to scale you text and icons? Does it do 4 to 1 pixel binning to simulate 1440x900? How does the touch pad work? Do you still have all the gestures?

I run Win 7-64 & osX at work and w7-64 on my home workstation, but I'll upgrade to 8.1 for the mbp if it gains me anything.

2. Jaben3421 macrumors regular

I'm not positive on this, so correct me if I'm wrong, but last I heard Windows 7 doesn't fully support the rMBP resolution. I think only Windows 8 can fully support the rMBP's high resolution. As far as Windows 8 or 8.1, if you can find 8 for cheaper than buy it and upgrade for free. But remember that every time you need to fresh install, you have to install 8 and upgrade to 8.1. Other than that, get which either one you can find cheaper.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd say windows 8 is your best bet at this stage, its a solid OS and you can disable metro if you wish. The supplied drivers for apple are current and support the retina hardware.

4. Turnpike macrumors 6502

Turnpike

Does anyone have anything to add to this....? I'm looking to use Parells and Windows 7 on both a Retina 15" MBP and again on a 27" iMac. I really prefer to use Windows 7, and dont mind buying Windows 7 Ultimate if that would help.

1) Is one version of Windows 7 better than another for either machine? (Win 7 Home Premium vs Win 7 Ultimate

2) Will any version of Win 7 let me enjoy the Retina part of the display on the MBP?

Thank you!

5. nathan43082 macrumors member

6. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

Only if you set the resolution to 2880x1800 and scaling to 199%. Otherwise, Windows 8.1 has better (though not as good as OS X) support for HiDPI.

7. oldhifi macrumors 6502a

oldhifi

I have Windows 7 on my Mac Mini, no problems..but never use the upgrade do a full install..

8. mintfan7200 macrumors member

mintfan7200

Get windows 7 it is a great os . Windows 8 is ok but I think windows 7 is a better option in my opinion . You should also give linux a try .

9. willie45, Feb 27, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2014

willie45 macrumors regular

Can i just be clear because I'm going to buy windows 8. I will run it on a 27" iMac mid 2011. I believe I need the 64bit version is this right? Also I am slightly confused because I was about to buy one then noticed it said it was for windows 7 upgragers but then it also said it would do a "full install" which I assume means it would be fine for my purposes. ( I don't have any version of windows at all at the moment )

It also says 32/64bit so I assume it will install either?

Here's a link to what I'm considering buying

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Microsoft-W...UTF8&qid=1393516579&sr=8-2&keywords=windows+8

thanks for your help