Which version should I get?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Dizfunctions, Mar 6, 2014.

1. Dizfunctions macrumors newbie

I can get the 2012 MacBook pro retina 15 inch with base processor and 256 gb sad, as well as dedicated graphics, or I can get the 2013 haswell 15 inch. The haswell cost 200 more, but has equivalent storage and ram to the 2012 MacBook pro retina.

Which one should I get?

2. kathyricks macrumors 6502

There's a Youtube video or two comparing those two models and the base Haswell 15" nearly always beat the 2012 Ivy Bridge model that had a dedicated graphics card in a variety on benchmark tests. So the base Haswell 15" is a better choice operationally and makes more sense financially (will not depreciate as fast and will be in greater demand if you sell it)

3. Dizfunctions thread starter macrumors newbie

What? That doesn't make sense...

How does am integrated card beat a dedicated one?

LOL my bad, I meant the early 2013 15 inch Macbook Pro retina, not the 2012 MacBook pro...

The retina uses ddr5 ram on the graphics card, vs the 2012 MacBook pro which uses ddr3.

The integrated card on the base 15 haswell isn't as good as the dedicated card on the ivy bridge rmpb early 2013.

4. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

It makes sense to buy the more up to date model..Not just because it outperforms it's predecessor, but it will also retain a much higher re-sale value.

Some people by a laptop and run it into the ground, and others prefer to upgrade once every year-18 months. I buy with AppleCare and sell around that time scale.

5. Dizfunctions thread starter macrumors newbie

That's a valid point. I tend to do that too...

6. irnchriz macrumors 65816

irnchriz

I just picked up a 2012 15" MacBook Pro. I upgraded the ram to 16gb, put a 480gb SSD in it and a 1tb hdd in an optibay. It will do me for a few years.

7. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

The OP is looking at Retina models.

I would get the Haswell model. You will probably receive updates for a longer period of time versus the 2012 model.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Do you want a dGPU or a better iGPU? The performance difference between the two models isn't big enough to be a major factor imo, so it comes down to whether you want to a better iGPU in the Haswell model or the dGPU in the prior generation.

I'd go with the Haswell model even though I own a 2012 rMBP and I love it and I don't think there's a wrong decision here, both machines will satisfy your needs.

9. Dizfunctions thread starter macrumors newbie

One more concern I hope to alleviate is that I've heard the late 2013 retina isn't as bright in the display as the early 2013 or other retina models. Is there any truth to that?

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No idea as I have a 2012 rMBP - sorry :(

Head over to your local apple store and see if that's something you can discern.

11. Dizfunctions thread starter macrumors newbie

Haha no worries! I'll definitely head over and take a look :p

Thank you for your help!

12. kathyricks macrumors 6502

This video does a great job comparing the early 2013 with Ivy Bridge + Nvidia GT 650 vs the late 2013 Haswell with Iris Pro and no dedicated Nvidia: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATKDuQOQw9k

13. Orr macrumors 6502

Orr

From what I've seen/experienced it's actually the other way around, which is quite a welcome improvement.

14. Dizfunctions thread starter macrumors newbie

15. gochi macrumors 6502

the iris pro is good for gaming, but if you want to play the latest games @ higher configs get the 650m,

regardless as an avid gamer myself, the 650m is a joke.

16. Barney63 macrumors 6502a

Barney63

I have a Feb 14 13"rMBP and I find the display blindingly bright, I have to have it set at about 60% for comfort.

Barney

17. Dizfunctions thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the comment! I've never owned a Macbook so idk what it's screens are like.