Which version windows is better to install via bootcamp for gaming on my mac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by autumn, Oct 16, 2007.

1. autumn macrumors member

XP? Vista? I think there are quite a few versions of vista alone.

This is on my new iMac (Core2Extreme) so I guess it would be some kind of vista.

2. Parsec macrumors member

Well, you can experiment with the two if you have both. If you don't have Vista yet, but have XP. I'd go with XP. Vista needs a lot of work still. So, until SP1 arrives, I'd stay away from it. There no need to run Vista for any game that I know of. Plus Microsoft is thinking of bringing DirectX 10 to XP after all. So....why not run XP for games as it requires less system resources

Just my two cents.

Later, Parsec

3. autumn thread starter macrumors member

I don't have either but am planning to use bootcamp. When is MS bring DX10 to XP?
    I'd rather go with XP but just wondering since I have a DX10 videocard whether it'd be better with Vista for gaming.

4. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

DX10 will never be part of XP. Development of XP is over.

5. Nick12945 macrumors regular

That is incorrect. Windows XP SP3 is currently in closed beta testing. It will be the last revision of Windows XP.

Yeah, on Windows X Shrine, it says that the new xp will have some vista features, but they better not slow it down or else!

6. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Well I certainly hope I am wrong. That will help me stop buying Vista for a couple more years.

7. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

Halo 2. It's Vista only, although I do believe it's been cracked to run under XP...

8. mm1250 macrumors 6502

If you are going to go out and buy it than you might as well buy Vista. It's the latest and I've been using it since it came out. It works well, alot of people here will bash it but after you use it for a few weeks and get to know where all the new settings and layouts are, you will love it.

NO sense in buying XP since it's already outdated anyways.

Also, if you buy Vista, Ultimate is the best version.

BTW my config is Intel P4 3.4Ghz with 1GB RAM and Nvidia GeForce 6600. Runs like a champ, and from what your config you have it will run without a blink.

9. autumn thread starter macrumors member

I know my iMac would run Vista with no problem.

Is there a big price difference between XP and Vista? How much is the XP SP3 gonna be when it come out?

I'll ONLY use windows for gaming and everything else on OSX so I don't know if getting the Ultimate is a good idea, assuming there are price differences between basic and ultimate.

10. mm1250 macrumors 6502

Here are some pricing from NewEgg.com

http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=368&name=Operating-Systems

If you goto Vista and plan on running Paralles or VmWare Fusion ever, you need to buy either ULtimate, Business, or Enterprise.

Windows XP Pro SP3 won't cost anything more. SP3 is just a upgrade patch for windows. So if you buy the XP SP2 when SP3 comes out you just do the free online update from Microsoft website.

11. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

well i have to run vista on my MBP to play NHL07 and tiger woods 07. for some reason the boot camp drivers arent very good in XP causing the games stutter.
    in vista the games play fine. does anyone know why? specs in sig
    i would like to downgrade to xp to save space on my boot camp partition as i dont need vista as i only use it for gaming.

12. theman macrumors 6502a

just try updating the latest, or some other driver here.

13. WildPalms macrumors 6502a

WildPalms

Wrong.

14. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

ive got a MBP with an ATi graphics card (check my specs) and ive tried ATi's newest catalyst drivers which didnt fix it. ive also already got boot camp's 1.4 drivers. it seems vista just has better support for my GPU than xp. got no idea why! :confused:

15. Xeem macrumors 6502a

Xeem

Install XP. It runs many games substantially faster than Vista (my friend took about a 40% FPS hit in World of Warcraft with Vista, and had to reinstall XP).