Which video cable to use?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bsewell, May 14, 2010.

1. bsewell macrumors newbie

Hi all,
    my company has been given a PowerPC, which I believe is a Power Mac G4 (QuickSilver). It's Model number is M8493. For video output, it has a ADC and VGA connections (both female).

We have a Cinema Display, and it's model number is A1081 that has a DVI-D (male) cable.

Anyway, basicly I was wondering whether if I had a VGA cable to connect to the PowerPC and then used a VGA to DVI-D converter if the display will work.

I've looked under the ACD to DVI adapter router but I can't find any in the UK so I'm wondering if the VGA to DVI converter will be the answer.

Hope someone can advise on this.

Cheers,

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

There is no cable that can take input in VGA and output DVI-D (DVI-I, sure as it just puts the VGA signal on the analogue pins of DVI-I). To do that you need a box that will basically render the VGA signal into a framebuffer then re-output as digital.

You'd be better looking at converting the ADC to DVI as ADC carries a DVI video signal. Something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-F2E9142-WHT-Apple-Monitor-Adapter/dp/B000067RLH

3. bsewell thread starter macrumors newbie