Which Video card for Mac Pro is Best?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by WizardHunt, Jul 6, 2007.

1. WizardHunt macrumors 68000

WizardHunt

Hello,
    I am going to buy a mac pro soon, and I am concerned with any fan noise that might come from if I upgrade to ATI X1900. Has this been a problem with anyone's set up?

Secondly, if I am not into gaming but more so Video work, movie editing and so on, would the ATI X1900 be the best choice?

2. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

The One They Ship With The New Mac Pro In August

Don't be a chump and buy a Mac Pro in the last month before they offer a totally new one with a new line up of 2007 video cards. The "current" models are so last year.

My apologies to those who think it may be longer. This is only my GUESS about when we'll finally see rev B of the Mac Pro.

3. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

I didn't know Steve had announced new Mac Pro's next month! :rolleyes:

The ATI card isn't noisy unless it's under heavy load, so you should be fine with it. I don't know how much it'll help you with your video work, but the stock cards aren't exactly powerful so I'd probably go for the ATI just for longevity if nothing else.

4. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

If you aren't gaming, the 7300GT would be fine. If you can afford the X1900XT I would go for it anyway. Some note that it is a little noisy, but you shouldn't notice it. They have a new rev. that is supposed to be quieter and less buggy.

If you could wait, we should be seeing 8xxx cards stock and a newer card for the top end.

5. seany916 macrumors 6502

X1900 should do you fine for video editing, great choice

Would wait for next Rev if you can wait. Not just for newer video card, but possible speed bump, better value for your money.

6. erickkoch macrumors 6502a

I agree with the others that at this point wait if you can. I got my MP just a few weeks ago (couldn't wait) and yes, the ATI X1900 sounds like a blowdryer in your Mac. Otherwise, an excellent card.

If you can't wait and need your MP now you can replace the cards fan unit with the Accelero X2, which is what I did. It will void the warrenty.

You can see the replacement unit, it's the big black chunk of plastic with the wire coming out. (The 7300 is just below it for comparison). The ATI is now very quiet and my Mac is back to purring like a kitten.:eek:

Attached Files: