Which video card for MacPro 1.1 (Steam + Bootcamp friendly)

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by shaocaholica, May 26, 2010.

1. shaocaholica macrumors member

shaocaholica

I'm looking for a new video card for a MacPro 1.1 (Intel 2007) that will handle Steam source engine games decently and also work with bootcamp. I'm OK with BIOS flashing a PC card but I don't want to have to deal with patching files as well to get it to work since its going into a friends Mac and I won't always be around to show him how to patch stuff if he ever reinstalls OS X.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Then I would just pay the extra for the Mac version of the ATI 4870

3. shaocaholica thread starter macrumors member

shaocaholica

Are all flashed PC cards non-usable in bootcamp-windows?

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I'm not an expert of flashing but I think they work fine in Windows too, not sure though.

5. shaocaholica thread starter macrumors member

shaocaholica

6. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

THEN READ IT AGAIN

yes, caps.
    tired of people not bothering to read sh*it properly when I've summarized it neatly. tired of people asking for spoonfeeding.

7. shaocaholica thread starter macrumors member

shaocaholica

Bootcamp compatibility? In theory I would expect it to according to your guide because the cards still work with a BIOS system but the confusion comes from other posts I've read where people have complained about it not working. Which is it?

8. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

from guide:

pretty understandable here that all we do is add OSX support, not remove something, wouldnt you think?

and as for recent posts about bootcamp problems with flashed cards, how about this thread

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=922413

notice thread starters last post

oh and as for the Mac Pro model compatability

these are all quotes from the golden guide.

9. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Then don't come here. I understand you won't explain it step by step again but even I could get the answer for OP's question by reading that, most people need/want a clear answer, not something hidden between EFI and BIOS. I answer the same RAM questions over and over again, let alone all other questions, but if I'm too lazy to post a decent answer, I better not post it. I understand your frustration as you get asked like 100 times a day but for less effort it took you to write that reply, you could've just said yes or no.

EDIT: Seems like you were able to provide a decent answer but I don't get it why was it so hard

10. shaocaholica thread starter macrumors member

shaocaholica

I'm really grateful for the guide but I think that it needs "small" FAQ at the top that addresses some of these common questions without having to read the whole thing, and then reading it again. If you're tired of people asking the same things over and over, just put a simple 2 line Q/A at the top of your guide you only have to type once.

11. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

What I'm trying to do is to keep the standards up on the forum. People should learn that it takes 3 seconds to use the search button, but maybe 3 minutes for someone to help them out. People should help themselves out more and not be so ignorant. Else the forum will eventually become overspammed. I could answer yes/no/yes/yes/no to every individual question. I probably did for a year. Then I noticed that does not help anyone in the long run. What helps in the long run is gathered information and a general respect to fellow users and thread starters thinking "Maybe someone else actually have asked this question before me". Perhaps me being a douche sometimes is not to pleasant for the person I'm talking to. But maybe it will make 10 guys reading the thread think twice before their next question, and read up some themselves. Also, reading and learning helps you alot more then getting a yes/no to your answer and prevents you from coming back with follow up questions because you have no idea what you're doing. Besides, even though I can flame sometimes, I always make sure to give an anwer.

I guess what I wanted to say was, being douchy sometimes, will actually help more then 1 person :p

12. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I understand your point, and I'm not blaming you for anything, I fully respect you and you're the God of flashing. I agree with OP that a quick FAQ with the most asked questions would be cool and avoid most of these kinda questions. Sometimes I just think what would happen if everyone used search.. We would be useless :eek::D