Which video card supports 5K?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by MacProFreak, Feb 4, 2016.

1. MacProFreak macrumors regular

I have a mid 2010 Mac Pro and would like to know if there are any "for mac" video cards I can use that will support 5K display resolutions. See specs on attached picture. Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Hirakata macrumors 6502

Hirakata

There's a bunch. GTX 970, 980, 980 Ti, Titan...

They're not specifically "for Mac", but they'll work in your MP with some caveats. They'll need to be flashed for best results.

3. MacProFreak thread starter macrumors regular

Ok thanks. Seems like they're not making new cards for older Mac Pros anymore. I'd need it flashed because the boot screen is a must for me. Multi OS.

4. h9826790 macrumors 604

h9826790

Go for MVC Maxwell card then, you can ask him about the 5k setup as well. He tested it already.

5. Fl0r!an macrumors 6502a

I don't think there's any single card which will show a bootscreen on a 5K display.

6. netkas macrumors 65816

boot screen will be in lower resolution

5k only once you hit a desktop

7. JimmyPainter macrumors member

JimmyPainter

Man ... come on ... you want 5k? Go get you a "PC" 980 ti and move the little boot card up a slot or 2 then come back on here and tell the rest of us what a great time your having. No money left after the Monitor purchase .. Step down the "PC" nVidia tree till the budget fits or you run outa card to drive the Monster.

I want to hear you went all out :)
    --- Post Merged, Feb 5, 2016 ---

O ... by the way ... go to my good friends site ... www.Barefeats.com and see all the 5K articles. ;) ;)

8. MacVidCards Suspended

Using the 5K with Maxwell EFI cards gives a 4K bootscreen in 5K mode. Fully functional and useable, something the nMP can't do last time I checked.

9. JimmyPainter macrumors member

JimmyPainter

Dude ... Love your Site ... Love your Service you provide ..... Bet you can't post Twice without Bashing every nMp owner on here .... LOL Good luck with selling these guys a eGPU solution for the Tubes after you have absolutely without doubt confinced all of use who own or want to own a Tube how utterly stupid and inferior we truly are ....

Seriously ... PLEASE STOP YOURSELF.

10. tuxon86 macrumors 65816

How about you preach by example...

11. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

Criticizing a computer and chastising the maker isn't calling to owner of the computer stupid

12. Flint Ironstag macrumors 6502a

Flint Ironstag

MacVidCards has spoken clearly (and at length LOL) regarding the tube's shortcomings. BUT - he's willing to work with what he has, and eGPU solutions for the tube are now in play.

I am sitting on a dozen or so XServes about to be loaded up with (2) Nvidia 750Tis each, a handful of 2008 mac pros, a 2012 Mac Pro, and a tube with dual d700s about to be connected to some serious eGPU power. So I'm cool with his efforts.

This is mainly for cryptanalysis.

13. AidenShaw, Feb 5, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2016

AidenShaw macrumors P6

AidenShaw

Enjoy. I have quotes and approval and on Monday or Tuesday and will order six servers with:
    • 72 cores (144 threads) at 2.5 GHz (quad Xeon E7-8890v3)
    • 3 TiB of RAM per server
    • 8 TB of NVMe SSD per server, plus a 480 GiB 12 Gb/s SAS boot SSD
      • five NVMe SSDs in RAID-0 is like 10 GB/s to 20 GB/s - yahoo!
    • five Titan-X cards per server (15,360 CUDA cores and 60 GiB of VRAM per server)
    This is for a POC - so we want to make sure that we don't have any avoidable hardware bottlenecks. Once we finish the POC and start to put hundreds of systems into production, we'll trim whatever is over-configured.

Like koyoot - I can't say what this is for ;) .

BTW - the Xserve was an entry level x64 server that Apple killed five years ago. Why are you still wasting electricity running them?

14. mattspace macrumors 6502

mattspace

Out of curiosity - what happens when you boot in verbose mode with one of the 5k MST displays connected?

15. netkas macrumors 65816

it was answered by MVC few posts above

you get normal boot screen (verbose of course) in 4K resolution.

16. mattspace macrumors 6502

mattspace

Ahh, so verbose mode still wouldn't show on an unflashed card, for example?

17. MacVidCards Suspended

no, and I think that pointing out that nMP doesn't show boot screens while a 2008-12 can is rather important, at least in a thread about how 5K support is going

sorry the cMP with Maxwell has better 5K compatibility than nMP. It's a fact but you can just stick with small screens and remain oblivious.

18. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

I'm guessing you are doing work for Ernst Stavro Blofeld...

19. Flint Ironstag macrumors 6502a

Flint Ironstag

Nice rigs! I have the Xserves sitting idle, and this is mainly for my own amusement.

20. MacVidCards Suspended

Next week we will be introducing two lower cost cards to support Dell 5K screens.

A GTX960 that still has some umph but only needs a single 6 pin connector. This will allow easy and completely legit Dual GPU connection with total of 6 DP ports which should allow 2 @ 5Ks and a bevy of other screens all concurrently. Much like the 970 and 980 bigger brothers, it will show bootscreens on 5K display for a full "Mac" experience.

Also a GT630 with Dual DP ports for a low cost 5K connection option. (630 won't allow boot screens on 5K but will on smaller screens)