which video card

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by OrangeSVTguy, Dec 7, 2007.

1. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

looking to upgrade my video card and i really like to get a 256mb card. but i only want to spend around $100. i don't mind if it's a flashed pc card either. but i'm looking at 2 different cards for my sawtooth, a new nvidia Geforce 6200 256mb for $75 which will work for my mac or should i get the 9800 pro 256mb and pay up to twice as much? they are both agp cards too. i plan on running dual monitors as well.

2. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

Either card will work, but most of their capability (speed-wise) will not be utilized since the ST video only runs @2x AGP. The biggest advantage would be the offloading of core image & core video hardware acceleration functions from the CPU to the video card, which will give it a good speed boost in GUI/eye candy effects but not much else......

IMHO, I would NOT spend quite that much on upgrading such an old machine, but if that's all you have, then go for it :D
    And BTW, make sure you have an unused molex power connector if you get the 9800, it requires extra juice from the PSU to work and will not allow your machine to boot up if not plugged in....IIRC the ST's have 2 or 3 extras tucked inside the case.

ps: I have a flashed 9800Pro in my QS, for which I paid $75, about 18 months ago, and it works great! :p

3. OrangeSVTguy thread starter macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

i mainly have the mac for the kids... but i like to go on it also:D i'm starting to like OSX a whole lot more then XP. i'd love to trade up my vaio laptop for a macbook or something. xp or not... i still love my portablity. also when i switched around to a B&W case, i had to remove my zip drive so i will take power off that since that's no longer being used. thanks for your help :cool:

also how hard is it to flash a video card? i've flashed many other things like psp's, phones, ipods but never a video card. will i need a pci video card while i flash my agp card? so i can see what's going on since the agp card won't work till it's flashed?