Which Video Converter Do You Use?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by c43amg, Sep 17, 2008.

1. c43amg macrumors member

I have always used Pocked Dvd for AVI's but to make MPEG-4 for the iphone it uses ALOT of MB. 1.3-1.7 MB's for ONE movie. If I convert them any less they look OK but run real slow. I have to make them 30fps to run smooth on the iphone. I want my videos to be at LEAST 700-800MB a movie but in good quality. Is this possible, and if yes which program??

AVI's I make 400-500 MB and they look and run nice on Pocket Pc's.
    Mpeg seem to be different?

2. sdsvtdriver macrumors 65816

3. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

On my Mac I use Handbrake and it works great.

4. Flhusky macrumors 6502a

Flhusky

+1 on handbrake or iSquint
    Since you didn't specify which platform your on.. the above mentioned progs are Mac OS.

For Winders I've no idea, others will chime in I'm sure.

5. mike1123 macrumors 6502

mike1123

Quicktime Pro ftw (at least on the Mac. Not sure about the Windows version). I used to use FFMpeg X, which does work, sometimes... Quicktime Pro works 100% of the time for outputting iPhone/iPod touch compatible files. It came with Logic Studio, which was a sweet bonus I didn't expect :D

Unexpected bonuses are hard to come by these days...

6. theLimit macrumors 6502a

theLimit

I use HandBrake for converting DVDs and VisualHub for converting every other video file.

7. sdsvtdriver macrumors 65816

Super is on Windows.

8. c43amg thread starter macrumors member

Yes, that's what I have (for now) is windows.

Thanks I will google it. I just coverted transformers at 30fps and the file can ou to 2.3GB! 1.3 at 24fps but it ran choppy,slow motion. I used FREE STUDIO 3.1 which FREE but just doesn't make a low MB movie. Am I doing something wrong when converting?

9. thomahawk macrumors 6502a

thomahawk

i use handbrake for dvds and visualhub for avi's and stuff.

10. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

It sounds like you're not changing the resolution to be that of the iPhone.

11. majordude macrumors 68020

majordude

Why do you use Handbrake over MacTheRipper and VH instead of Toast which can do it fairly fast?

12. snook911 macrumors 6502a

try this www.jodix.com it's a free converter made to convert over to iPod/iPhone. I love it works perfect everytime and I rarley have files over 1GB. But the bigger you let the file be the better the quality so it's really up to you. Give it a try it's free.

13. Joe23 macrumors 6502

14. sunfast macrumors 68020

sunfast

Handbrake for new rips, VisualHub for any old ones that aren't iPhone playable

15. nathans89 macrumors newbie

for windows use Any Video Converter, its free and will do iPhone compatible mp4's and just about any other file type you wish to convert to, you can also select how many threads you want to run (assuming you have a multi-core system) for mac use AVC for mac or handbrake...

with the AVC for windows you can select the file size so you get the quality you want

16. johny5 macrumors 6502a

johny5

VisualHub does anything and everything, has presets for various devices too. Simple and easy to use and very cheap!

17. snook911 macrumors 6502a

18. DigMe macrumors 6502

Handbrake is available for Windows too. I've used it + AnyDVD for DVDs. I like it a lot.

bc

19. c43amg thread starter macrumors member

I tried it but does not grab from a dvd rom, only FILES. Thanks tho, I, trying others now.

Nice but I should have mentioned I want to try something thats free.

20. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

HandBrake is good for ripping DVD to iPhone movies. I also use MPEG StreamClip for converting those avi movies to MPEG-4, most of my movies are smaller than 1.3GB converting to iPhone, usually 500MB-900MB.

21. c43amg thread starter macrumors member

i tried the windows version and I get a scribbled movie at the end? I tried different settings but nothing seems to work.

Does anyone have handbrake with VISTA that works for them? If yes can you please share your settings?

22. WhySoSerious macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

Handbrake for ripping DVD's.
    iSquint for converting downloaded moives.

23. Marky_Mark macrumors 6502a

Marky_Mark

Tooble for downloading YouTube video and converting to iPod/iPhone compatible vids. Can browse through the app or copy and paste the URL from a browser into the app. Downloads, converts and then dumps the output straight into iTunes.

Tooble is great for avoiding iTunes store music video charges or for having a copy of a song before you go and buy the album (which is what I did for the new Kings Of Leon track - I'm not buying the single when the album comes out in a couple of weeks!)
    :)

24. djsound macrumors 6502a

djsound

is there something like VisualHub but for PC? my dad needs it....visualhub has always worked perfectly for me....to bad he doesn't have a mac

btw I am interested in converting windows media or any other form of video quickly and easily to flash....

25. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

If you want to learn more about this take a look at the Apple TV Forum there are a lot of threads on this subject.