Which video editing program for Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ArthurDaley, Mar 29, 2008.

1. ArthurDaley macrumors regular

I just switched to a Mac and had used Sony Vegas Studio on the PC before. I found the Adobe product too complicated. I mainly just chop start and end parts of conference video and then attach an ad at the start of each segment, so really all just cut and paste stuff. the video I work with is HD (1080i, HDV).

I wonder if iMovie is good enough? Any other simple ones?

2. Can macrumors member

It sounds like you just need iMove ´08 to satisfy your needs. :)

It is actually a great program. Give it a try

3. quadgirl macrumors regular

iMovie 08 is great, but it's not everyones' cup of tea, in the sense that it's not of a traditional editor.

If you have 08 installed, Apple recognised that many users still prefer the '06 and as a result, you can download it for free from Apple's web site. Both versions will let you capture and edit HDV so give them both a try.

The latest version of Final Cut Express will be the next jump, it's not too pricey, and not too difficult to understand.

4. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

I create simple home movies and I use iMovie 08. Easy to use and works for me.

Cheers.

5. Island Dog macrumors 6502a

Island Dog

For what you want iMovie should do just fine. There isn't much need on spending money for such simple tasks.

6. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

Final Cut Express is a good compromise between the very basic iMovie 08 and the very serious Final Cut Pro.

7. Harryt223 macrumors member

Adobe After Effects isn't at all complicated, nor is Final Cut Pro.. But those are needed if your doing major film or video editing.

Otherwise like everyone else has said, stick with IMovie. :D

8. techguy40 macrumors regular

what kind of video camera you recommend to get?