Which video recording app?

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by pk7, Jul 11, 2012.

1. pk7 macrumors 6502

Hello MacRumors,

Recently I've been on the hunt for a new video recording app.

I'm not exactly an expert filmmaker, but I just want to be able to control the resolution at which I film. I have a 16 GB iPhone 4S with only 5 GB left :( so I'm trying to decide which app to use. I fly a lot and love to take videos, but these can reach 10-15 minutes in length which is just too much for my poor 16 GB model to handle.

I've narrowed it down to two apps: Video Camera+ or Filmic Pro.
    Video Camera+ tempts me with its lower price, selectable resolution, and especially continuous autofocus. I don't know how well it works but that sounds like it could be very useful for me.
    Filmic Pro tempts me with its added functionality and its full-frame autofocus and exposure, which I feel could be very useful considering all the different exposures that one encounters in aviation photography. I just don't know if it has continuous autofocus or not, and if it's as user-friendly as Video Camera+. The price is a little steep, but if it's worth it, I'm more than willing.

Can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks in advance!

2. qubeofwar macrumors regular

With cloud sync, you can keep your videos in the cloud and put less toll on your device. Just my two cents. Now for the app, I think Filmic pro stands out better for your needs, since adjusting resolutions would no longer be necessary

3. TJ61 macrumors 6502a

I have Filmic Pro, which I got exclusively for its ability to shoot at lower resolution, and it does just fine. But, after getting ProCamera for it's photo abilities, I use it exclusively for video as well, since it too offers all the lower resolutions. I keep it set at 720p, though it can go lower.

ProCamera has continuous autofocus in video mode, but I like the fact that I can turn it off. I find the autofocussing in a video can be very annoying, as the scene is constantly going in and out of focus during the process. When autofocus is turned off in either ProCamera or Filmic Pro, it still autofocusses prior to shooting your video, and you can always refocus if your subject is at a different position while shooting. Filmic Pro might get a slight nod here in that the focus lock is right on the main screen; in Procamera, "autofocus during video" is in a settings menu.

Regards,
    Tom

4. pk7 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for both of your replies. I got ProCamera and it's working well. It allows video zoom as well, which I like. Hopefully I won't run out of space now. Am I correct in assuming that:

Full HD (HD+) = 1080p
    High Definition (HD) = 720p
    High Quality (HQ) = 480p
    Low Quality (LQ) = 360p

Thanks!