Which video software?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Fontane, Sep 28, 2013.

1. Fontane macrumors regular

My friend uses software on windows (don't recall which one) to create neat videos that are essentially a compilation of her own pictures to the tune of a song of her choice. As the song plays, the screen changes to a new picture or some text she wrote, etc. Seems pretty basic, but I'm a complete newb with this kind of stuff.
    Can someone recommend a free, or very cheap, software package that would allow me to do the same?

Also, some of the photos in her videos will have her or her children's pictures on billboards, on buses or other neat places like that. I'd like to do that stuff too.

Any ideas how to get started with this very cheesy project? :)
    Thanks!

2. Siderz macrumors 6502a

I don't know, but if it's Windows, you'll probably get more help on some kinda Windows forum.

3. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

If you are on a Mac then both iPhoto, iMovie and Keynote will do that for you.

4. daybreak macrumors 6502a

5. ChrisA macrumors G4

iPhoto will make slide shows. You can export them as videos. iPhoto is included with every Mac.

For more advanced photo editing (like compositing) get a copy of Adobe Photoshop Elements. "Elements" is a stripped down version of the full Photoshop and also does what you are looking for.

6. Chad3eleven macrumors regular

Im assuming you have a mac, correct?

Then start with iPhoto.. not much that you can customize but its easy to make slideshows with music.

Next would be iMovie.. there you can add titles and effects to your videos.

As for the fun extra stuff, there are some apps available for iphone and ipad that you can take any photo and add it into a pre existing photo in the app.. such as taking a picture of someones face and putting it on on a wall.. or artwork.. etc.. then you can save the photo, bring it back to your mac and add in into your slideshow.

7. Fontane thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the answers everyone.

I have a 2010 macbook air. When I bought it, I had snow leopard which included imovie and iphoto. After upgrading to Lion and then Mountain Lion, I've since lost those software packages. When I check the app store they are not listed as purchases, so I have to buy them if I want them.

Regardless, it seems imovie will do give me the slideshow to music with subtitles that I want to do.

Maybe when I upgrade to the new retina next month with mavericks it will have imovie for free?

8. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Well, you shouldn't have done. If you installed the new OS's on top of the old, then those applications should have been preserved.

9. ChrisA, Oct 1, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2013

ChrisA macrumors G4

Some people who used to use Windows still think you need a "clean install" and wipe the disk clean when they upgrade. It's OK to have superstitions like that but should do a redundant backup first.

iMovie is so cheap get it if you need it. I've moved on to FCPX and think it's worth it.

10. Fontane thread starter macrumors regular

When I installed Lion and then Mountain Lion, I just installed the update from the App store. At some point, I did a complete wipe of my system because I was having some problem (don't recall the issue). I may have lost those programs when I reinstalled a fresh copy of the OS. Seems odd that Apple wouldn't give me a license or access to those programs since they were included with my original OS.

11. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

That's probably when it happened.

Yes. It's because your original copies of the Applications weren't bought via the App Store.