Which Vista to buy?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by jng, Apr 28, 2007.

1. jng macrumors 65816

jng

I stopped in one of the soon to be closed Comp USA's this morning and they have Vista at 40% off. I currently don't own an Intel mac but I will by the summer.

I want to buy it now to save the 40% but I don't know which one to buy.

Because I'm moving out, it looks like I'll be buying a macbook this summer. Will Vista Ultimate run okay on it? Or should I just buy home edition?

I am mainly a web designer and would need Windows for testing. Are there advantages to Ultimate you mac guys can think of?

PS. I know some people think Vista sucks. But SP2 for it will eventually come out and I'd rather buy now and save some money.

2. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

3. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

www.mocrosoft.com has a comparison of different versions of Vista. for me, Home pre is good enough, home basic is good too.

4. jng thread starter macrumors 65816

jng

Yeah I just found that page on MS' website. It wouldn't load for me at first :rolleyes:

Hmmm, maybe the packages in the store were upgrades. I have to go back and compare...

Thanks for the quick replies!

5. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

Why would you buy Vista?

I admit I didn't read your entire post, sorry. Too bad you are forced to deal with MS.

6. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

i'd suggest Ultimate so you're not constrained at all. if you have to get it, go all out.

7. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

Ultimate is a waste, really. Even with 40% off, the difference between Ultimate and the other versions does not justify the difference. If he only needs Windows to test web pages, I'd recommend just getting Vista Home Premium. If he needs more functionality for other purposes, Vista Business is definately the sweet spot.

8. Nuc macrumors 6502a

Nuc

9. schmintan macrumors regular

because its a good OS!! sure its not MacOS, but its very good at what it does! i got vista ultimate, and dont regret it at all!

i agree with the other posts here, you should use XP until parallels supports vista completely. and id you do get vista dont get ultimate. unless you get it at a very good price, which is difficult, id stick with home premium. most of the extra stuff in ultimate is just eye candy, IMO

10. mags631 Guest

Windows Vista: Compare Editions

Based on your described usage, I'm guessing Home Premium, unless you need Remote Desktop Connection, Encryption, or Complete Backup/Restore.

11. jng thread starter macrumors 65816

jng

12. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Anybody know if the OEM rule is enforced in any way? :confused:

...I not trying to cheat the system, but in the off chance my MacBook were to break under AppleCare and get replaced, there's no way I'm buying a second copy of Windows.

13. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

Even though oem is restricted to a computer should be used with blah blah blah, I have personally installed it on two systems. My friend though got locked at one. So i have no clue, you could probably call bitch and whine to microsoft and they'd let you move it.